Wicking Help

ladysj

I'm not sure how to determine the bes wick size for my candles. I don't have regular gel wicks. I have Eco's, LX's and CD's. Do I just determine the size container for each of these and maybe wick down a size? I know that gel isn't suppose to be wicked as large as regular wax.

Well treat gel kind of like soy in your wicking wick up not down. Just don't go for the same kind of melt pool as soy.

Just make sure in your burn and burn to the bottom you have about an 1/8" to a 1/4" gel left on the container.

We use alot of LX's with our gels with no problems, as Vickie said just wick to leave a layer for insulation, gel will require a slightly larger wick than you would with that diametre of a paraffin candle. (Make sure you test to ensure, the fragrance does play a role as well as the glassware shape etc. )

If using pretabs, we place paper towel on cookie sheets, arrange the wicks on the towel and cover with another layer. Place in a 170 degree oven for 10 mins or so, the wax will melt and the paper towel will absorb it. Remove the wicks while still warm so they don't adhear to the towel. The tabs will need an extra crimp before using as the wax on the wick inside the tab has mostly melted loosening the wick.

HTH

Wendy