Cell phone vs. biz phone

pamperme

Would you all use your cell phone for your buisness phone number. I am debating this as I do not want to pay $200 for installation of a phone line :undecided Plus the $75 per month and that is without long distance.

I know if I have a biz phone it puts me in a directory but I am still thinking of using my cell instead.

Opinions?

I look at it this way if you are a retail business with a store front you need a business line period not only to get listed in the directory but if you ever hire employees are you going to leave your cell at your place of business for them to use.

I can not count the times I have looked in the phone book for a store or business because I lost their card or never got it to begin with now how the heck was I to find them if they where not listed.

I just did it today I knew this store was here but for the life of me could not find the card so to the phone book I went and spent $150 with them.

Here is something to look into check with your local cable company a lot of them are offering phone service now and it seems to be cheaper than a regular phone line with the phone company.

I look at it this way if you are a retail business with a store front you need a business line period not only to get listed in the directory but if you ever hire employees are you going to leave your cell at your place of business for them to use.

I can not count the times I have looked in the phone book for a store or business because I lost their card or never got it to begin with now how the heck was I to find them if they where not listed.

I just did it today I knew this store was here but for the life of me could not find the card so to the phone book I went and spent $150 with them.

Here is something to look into check with your local cable company a lot of them are offering phone service now and it seems to be cheaper than a regular phone line with the phone company.

I totally agree with Vicky. I don't have a store front so the separate line for me isn't all that necessary. Good Luck:)

I have the distinctive ring added to my phone..

It is only $6.95 a month extra a month.

When it is a business call, it has a double ring.

My family knows not to answer it and I am aware it is a business call.:)

How does it know it's a business call?

Distinctive ring is a separate number for the same phone. I found it a necessity with Kids. Actually, I still have it turned on and never thought to use it as a business line. It rings normal when my main phone number is dialed and it does ring ring when the other number is dialed. Same line - 2 numbers - very handy.

But pamperme is looking at a brick and mortar store - she needs a business phone. And I agree with Vicky. Look into cable phone service. It is a lot cheaper.

If you are going to have a retail location, they are going to make you get a business line (you're stuck - it stinks I know!)

BUT

SBC in our area (now AT&T - companies are always buying out our phone lines here I swear) was offering a special when I signed up with them. I got a full page in the phone book, complete with coupons, pictures and an ad I did myself, two business lines (I only use the one for the business phone) and a DSL connection.

All in all, we pay about $100.00 a month if that.

When it comes to long distance, don't go with the name brand companies out there. I have one word for you:

OPEX

I have been with them for 4 years now and my long distance is $15.00 a month. I also have them at my home (but that is different because it is residential & I have two lines at my home too!)

I'm sorry, I hate cell phones and wouldn't recommend them to do business on. I guess I have had too many bad experiences with them cutting out, not coming in, messing up, can't hear, etc... I hate talking on the phone in any situation, but when I have to talk to someone on a cell phone - it sends me right off the deep end!

What?

I can't hear you?

Can you hear me now?

You're breaking up?

Can you just call me on my land line? (LOL I get this all the time)

Oh I can blah blah blah for hours on how to save money when you open a retail store. I am the queen of cheap, just let me know if I can help lol

Are you talking about a business line for a store front or your home business. If home business a cell phone works great for me. I always have the cell with me so I never miss a call. Really important for me since we live in two different homes and are on the road a lot. I got an order last month while traveling thru Ohio that I would have missed if I used a land line. JMO

Well Pooh!

You all had good points about the land line in the store.. darn it..I just hate to spend that..I work for the local cable co...and my internet service for the store will be through them..so I guess I will just see if they can budle it with the phone..I will have to check as I think they don't have the business service yet..but maybe since I work for them they can help me out.:undecided :D

I am a boothrenter in a salon and I use my cell phone soley for that. I can see if you have a business with a lot of walk in traffic, you probably need a land line. FYI, you dont have to have a land line to get listed in the phone book, especially the yellow pages.

dont you usually have to pay to be in the yellow pages anyway? :undecided

If this for your retail store I would highly recomend getting the phone line. How else are you going to do credit or debit charges? If you get a business line you are listed in the phone book. If you don't want to go this route then you can pay to have your cell listed in the phone book.

You don't have to pay to get in the phone book, but if you want an ad or a bigger listing than just the name and number of the place you have to pay for it.

Advice - Don't do any of the ad space or anything too big in the phone book if you live in a rural area. It doesn't pay off at all.

Remember those really cool coupons and that whole page ad I got? A whole year went by and I only collected 2 coupons from the stinkin' thing. I think it would work better in a city area though as opposed to Podunk where I live.