Natural coloring questions

skg

I just read somewhere that you could use grass as a natural colorant in cp soap - has anyone ever tried this or how would one go about doing it? lol And if I used carrots, cucumbers, etc do I also need to put in a preservative? :undecided Thanks, Sandy

never hear of grass in soaps. as far as preservatives, I suggest you do a search on "preservatives" in the soap part of the forum and see what you come across. I don't recall reading that you do, but think the shelf-life might be a bit shorter with veggies in your soap -

but I've never tried it myself (yet)

You can steep dried herbs in oil to infuse for color. Leave the herbs in the oil in a sunny window for a few days, then strain. Here are two of mine..

Annatto Seed

Invigorating.jpg

This one was as dark as blood in the oil and

mellowed nicely when the lye hit. Alkanet Root:

Earth_Goddess.jpg

Try infusing. Use about a teaspoon of herb to 3 TBS of olive oil. Nuke the OO for a minute, add the herb (grass) cover with saran and leave in a sunny window for a few days. Strain. Subract that amount of oil from your base recipe and add the colored oil for your colorant. :smiley2:

I have not used grass, but last year I had a huge surplus of Parley so I colored pearberry soap with the parsley, I finely ground it, it was beautiful the first week, a nice vibrant green, then the 2nd week and on it started turning a funky yellowish color.

I agree with trying the infusing of the grass, it would probably look nicer.

Make sure to share your results with us if you do this.