grrrr

So I finally found a wax that I love so far....KY125. However I have a wicking problem. HTP 104 gave awesome throw with Amish Harvest...however it developed a melt pool in 2 hours in my jelly jar instead of 3, and mushroomed badly. I dropped to a HTP 93, great first burn..even, no mushroom, perfect melt pool, perfect flame. However, consequent burns with the 93 produce weak flames, weak throw, and not a complete melt pool. Wondering if I should have used the 104 for more than one burn? Does anyone know a wick that would burn slightly hotter than the 93, but slightly less than the 104?

Thank you!

Chris

I personally don't always go by the burn time to be the same as the diameter of the jar for a full mp theory. If I get a good throw, not too big of flame or mp depth and my jar is not too hot, I am a happy camper. I don't think 2 hours time is too fast IMO if those factors apply. And, while I to try to avoid mushrooms, sometimes with soy and certain FOs, it can't be avoided. Have you tried other wicks besides the HTPs? You could start with a CD 18, ECO 12 or 60C and adjust from there if you want to try other wicks. Sometimes, because of the container, it just takes a change in wick types to find a good burn that you can be happy with in your container.

I agree with Meridith. If you get a FMP in two hours, but everything else is fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Not everything can be exactly by the book, it just isn't possible. I also burn all the way down, unless I absolutely know that the wick is too big/small. That way, I can see whether the wick works out towards the end or whether it really does need to be changed. I also have been testing Eco wicks in some soy blends and really like those. So, if you're looking for something different, maybe give those a try :)

Thank you Meridith and AngelaVa....I popped the 104 back in.....I'll try what you suggested if I just can't stand the 104. What do you think about maybe adding a lower melt point soy to the 125 to improve the 93? probably more trouble than it's worth

Thanks again!

Hey all, just wondering about the eco wicks and if anyone else is getting bad mushrooms? I love almost everything about these except for that. A few times they have split at the tips into double or triple tips and after blown out I have not one mushroom, but two or three per wick!

Hey all, just wondering about the eco wicks and if anyone else is getting bad mushrooms? I love almost everything about these except for that. A few times they have split at the tips into double or triple tips and after blown out I have not one mushroom, but two or three per wick!

Sorry, but I haven't had that problem with the Ecos I've tested. Mine never mushroom. The only thing that comes to mind is that you may be overwicking (but I could be wrong) :)

I suppose I might be overwicking, but when I wick down I don't feel I'm getting the burn needed. You know though as I look back over my notes, it may just be happening on the first burn and then seems OK...need to finish additional multiple burns I guess.

Chris77, I had a very experienced chandler tell me to try the LX series (I use C-3 wax) so I've just ordered some. I know you can get good sample packs at LSCS. I think they even have a 'master sampler' with a few of all wicks and sizes they carry.

I never had the ECOs mushroom on me either. However, they have split before but I thought it could be caused by cutting with dull scissors. I typically don't use them because I can smell a burnt smell with them after blowing a candle out. I do have some that I will use for back-up if I need to.

Never had the burndt smell personally, that is why I use them, funny how we have all of these different variables which relate to what works for each of us. I will get some small mushrooming on an extra long burn, but I do stick the trim candle sticker on the bottom of the jar, so it's no big deal to just snip it off after an extra long burn, otherwise, they have been what has worked best for me.

Hi Chris, I have thought of ordering the KY 125, but have so many waxes. Is it the same as the GB 435? It also has cottonseed. Just wondering because of shipping costs. Getting 10 lbs. or so is always in poly bag, so not sure until I order the 50 lb. worth. Does anyone know? Hope someone has the answer. Not trying to steal your thread. Thanks. Beth

Hi Beth, I'm not sure about the GB 435 since I haven't tried it. I do like the pricing and the shipping on the KY and so far I am loving the wax in comparision to the others I've tried. I ordered a 3lb sample and I'm pretty positive I'm going to have to order more....so much I want to try and test with it now!