Need your opinions and advice on free websites, please.

mindy5140

Ok, I don't have enough money to have my own website, yet. But I do want to get my business, on the internet. Well anywho, I want everybodys opinion good or bad on what they think about free websites.

Like are they professional looking, what types of payment can you accept, would you buy from anybody that had a free website????

If you don't want to respond to this thread pm, please. I really need this info.

TIA,

Mindy :)

Hi:D www.ecrater.com lets you build a website for free, and it stays free, you can upload unlimited products, and you get your own link addy. Also you can try doing a blog on www.blogger.com and just update your items into there, with the link to your site, or even plug in your ordering email so people can order from you via email. You might also be able to plu gin Paypal buttons too. I know quite a few people who operate totally out of a blog, and they are doing well with sales.

If you dont have a lot of money, the lowest charging sites can be out of your budget. Try the free site first for awhile, then save up to build a paid site.

I would NEVER use a free website for my website. No, they do not look professional, NONE of them. Free is never free. You will pay a price (advertising) and give up a lot. You won't be able to have your domain name, and well the list goes on and on. Wait until you can afford to do it right. You won't be sorry :)

I would buy from a free website if it is somebody I know, or if I am already familiar with the product (e.g. I received it as a gift and now I want to get more). Even though I don't care for the free sites, I feel it's a good way to get started if you don't have the budget for a paid site and want to establish an online presence. It will at least give you practice and when you are ready to have a paid site it will be simpler to get one going.

I apparently am uneducated as to all of the free websites that are available out there lol. So, let me backpaddle just a wee bit here. I have never seen one that looks professional. Ever. But a professional looking site is relative I guess. What some might consider to look very professional, others may not.

I was thinking about angelfire and geocities and those sorts of free sites when I posted earlier, and all of those are filled with very annoying ads, and other stuff that in my opinion do not make a good place to try to sell your stuff. Again, this is just my opinion, and other folks may think it's a wonderful way to start out. I've also not seen a free website that includes a shopping cart.. are those out there too?

What I've seen for free are sites where people can have pictures of their products, but to order they have to send an email to the site owner. That's what I meant by giving up a lot, but of course, since I had no idea that you could get a freebie site up and running without ads, then I'm probably wrong about that too.. maybe you can have it all for free.

I personally wouldnt buy from someone with a free site unless I already 'knew' them (through boards or whatever). I personally pay less than $50/year for both my domain name and my hosting (through godaddy), it's not expensive at all!

Ok- I get nervous posting my site..... but this was done for free (by my husband who knows enough about code that we could do it). The shopping cart comes with it, as does all the modules for different languages, different currencies, different shipping options, different just about anything you could want. It is a zencart site done with free stock pics. (Well- I take that back, I did get a bunch off of istock).

ANY and all adds I have on here are put there by me (or my husband LOL)

If you are REALLy good w/ computers, I would say check out zencart.

prairieannie- I see what you mean now! I agree that those sites definitely lose something with all the adds and odd placed windows.

My free site: www.sweethearttarts.com

Ok- I get nervous posting my site..... but this was done for free (by my husband who knows enough about code that we could do it). The shopping cart comes with it, as does all the modules for different languages, different currencies, different shipping options, different just about anything you could want. It is a zencart site done with free stock pics. (Well- I take that back, I did get a bunch off of istock).

ANY and all adds I have on here are put there by me (or my husband LOL)

If you are REALLy good w/ computers, I would say check out zencart.

prairieannie- I see what you mean now! I agree that those sites definitely lose something with all the adds and odd placed windows.

My free site: www.sweethearttarts.com

Jackie, your site is very cute! A zencart or OSCommerce type site isn't at all what I had in mind when I was thinking of free sites. Yours is great, and you shouldn't have been nervous about posting it at all :)

OMG, thanks for all of your opinions, I hadn't a clue there were so many options out there.

Jackie I love your site.

I'm not internet savvy, but I am a fast learner. Maybe I should just look into somethings, and learn all about them. Then I'll make my decision.

Thanks again,

Mindy :)

I want to clarify that when I said I personally dont like free sites I meant sites like geocities/angelfire etc where they place ads on the site.

Making your site by yourself is perfectly fine so long as it looks professional. I did mine myself (tweaked a template) and im happy with it!

i have one of those free sites but it had lots of adds till i payed for it 3 days later.i am paying more than some of you all for a free site just to keep adds off. i am going to be checking out other sites this week. thanks for the post.

you can find some not free ones relativly cheap and you can do them yourself..mine is from snapmonkey.com and I love it..did it myself it is a template..they host..you can even get your domain through them...it is like $9 a year..there is an activation fee after a 10 day free trial..and then just $29.95 a month..Rita is the lady who owns the site..and she is great at helping if you have problems with ANYTHING at all.. I got mine done is less than a week and it was up and running..you can link it to paypal..UPS.ect..lots of extra features..you can hold 500 pictures/images..etc.

I don't like those other feebee sites either..I hate all the add stuff...and dange popups.:undecided

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I know this is an older post - but I have a comment about it. I am a professional website designer, and new soaper. I live in a small country town where some of the local businesses that are on the web have chosen free websites. The problem with free websites is that there is not a direct link to get to your information - (ex: say your company was named "Happy World" - a free site would be: www.fuse.happyworld.com - not very pleasant for the consumer trying to find you. You can get a good designer to get you a professional site up for about $200 - and a recurring $60 or so a year. This is not an advertisement for my company, my suggestion would be to check your local schools for kids that are really talented in the web design department. You'd be suprised what they can do! :P