flat rate shipping

LynnS

What is the flat rate USPS shipping box that holds 70 lbs up to now.Last I heard was $8.10 I think.Probably up by now.

That is what I want to use on my site if a multiple order.

Since PO is only about 1 1/2 miles from me what I think I will use but also use UPS at times too.

Thank You,

LynnS

I know it is up to 70 lbs(RIGHT) but what if the box weighs 35-40.Still $8.10.

Want to put this on website if this is correct and also want to get my shipping charges more accurate to what I want to charge.

Thank you for your reply.I see UPS by my house numerous times a day but DHL almost never.If they get a customer they will be around.See those trucks in towns delivering etc but not on the outskirts.

Got to use the cheapest and it will depend on the orders.

LynnS

WAY cheaper to drop it off !!! Well maybe not in the long run if you live a ways , but they up the ante for doing a pick up !...Dont do a place that does all of them either !!! You can print all of the shipping labels from home ! The places like , I dont know what theyre called..uh.."Ship It" charge you a surcharge...Way I found that one out is I weighed it at home, went on line and did a test run thru the web site ( DHL) and got the price.....Went to the ship it store ,because I had never done this from home, and it was 3 bucks higher than what was told online. I pulled out my trusty proof printed piece of paper and it didnt matter...He explained that this was how the store made the money !....So , I went back home and educated myself on online shipping !

The post office wont charge for a pick up . But on their site it says one package has to be a priority piece for them to pick up....I asked my mail man and he said that they dont even look at that , they look at the barcode to make sure its readable...Just to double check, I asked another mail person and she said same thing !....But maybe thats only if you get along with your mail deliverer !!!

And on the 8.10...yes, no matter the weight up to 70 lbs....and theres only a couple of sizes of bixes they offer for flat rate..The boxes can bulge a little but not be grossly out of skew !!!

When you get time , go to all the shippers websites and do fake packages . Put the ship to zip a zip you know if more expensive ..I always use an Alaska one. Then check all the shippers site for the same fake package size and weight and see who is cheapest !....Youll get good at it once you start checking on every order !( at least I do all of them )..

Whew that was a ramble !!

You still awake after reading all that or are ya all blurry eyed now !?!? heheh !

Deana

It is $8.10 and they lifted the 70 lb limit. Not that you'd ever get anywhere close to it anyway, as the box isn't very big.
Heh....I don't think it can be done either. Last spring I had to ship 45lbs. of lead (really) from CA to VT and used the FR box :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:. It was a hoot. The lady at the post office laughed her ass off, they lost money on that deal for sure. We had some room to spare, but the box would give out long before you got 70# iin there.

I'm kinda gettin it.WOW do I have alot to learn.In my hopes people order more to make my life simple but not likely.

You were a big help Deana and I am awake.I did stay up late last night as had to go into my website and change a few things.Husband said "When I come home tomorrow I want something on that Shipping page so had to do it".HA!!!!!

Deliciously Wicked No don't think so but know what you mean :D .I think a little bigger than a shoebox.When I mentioned flat rate shipping to my postmaster at first kinda acts like "What do you mean" and then said "oh that is the flat rate box".So I think I am going to have to really get this across when I go in.That is if I ever get a order like that.:undecided

Do you think they don't want that way of shipping.This is a small PO.

I do alot of mailings with bulk paper and when I go in it all has to be weighed.So not really just that 39 cent stamp.BUT costs me and

they make the money.

LynnS

There are 2 different flat rate boxes (no, the shoe-box box is just a regular priority box). One is a square(er) type, the other is longer/wider and flat. Go to the USPS site and visit the 'Store'....you can order boxes and see what they have for sizes.

You can't fit a lot in a FR box, and many times just cuz it's full it may not be the best rate, so always check the regular priority weight too.

:laugh2: I prefer USPS above all other services because one, they are cheaper, and 2, they will pick up packages right at your home, at no additional cost! DHL, Fedex, UPS all charge you a fee to pick something up, even though it might not be written, its in the fine print. DHL charged me $3 everytime they had to come pick something up.

USPS's packaging is also all free to use. UPS charges (at least the last time I checked they did.)

All you have to do is schedule your pickup online the night before you want to ship something out (before midnight) and they will come to your door and get it. The only time I ever actually go to the PO is if I have an international package to ship, its cheaper to do it there than print the label from the PC.

Last month was the first time after years of doing this that I noticed that it does say one of the packages has to be priority, and I can see that I dont follow directions very well:laugh2: I just handed all my first class packaging to my mail carrier. She does not even look at them, and they get thrown in the truck with eveything else.

After just having done the sfic co-op I am sticking with the flatrates. I think my heaviest box was 35lbs. I even got the gallons of liquids into the flatrates because we used milk jug shaped jugs. The post office now hates to see me coming, one trip alone was I think 35 boxes all at least 15 lbs.

Sami

Gotta go to the PO to mail some of my bulk envelopes.Seems I get there close to closing.Will make it 15 minutes sooner and ask for a couple boxes.Yes I do remember months ago he gave me that shirt box.Not alot to mail for me that is flat.Candles, tarts,(might squeeze those) but not likely and the car air fresheners can go in a envelope(padded)Gonna get the 2 sizes and work with it.I mean stuff it.See what all I get in one.

LEAD???I bet they did loose money:D

LynnS

LOL.....really, lead.

When we lived in CA, both DH and I used to go ab diving, thus we had weight belts. When we moved, I brought my stuff, but he left his so when we went back home he could dive with his uncles. After our trip home last year, he wanted to bring it all home and I said "no way we're checking the belt at the airline!!". He was gonna leave it and buy a new one here, and I said to my self "self, I bet we can ship that sucker flat rate." Heh heh heh. :whoohoo: