Darn votive?

Ok,,,,,,,for the life of me, I can't pour a darn votive that doesn't end up with a nipple around the wick. I am using 4794, 1 oz fo/lb and dye. I do my first pour at around 175, wait 1 hr and then repour at around 180. And EVERY one of them ends up with a slight nipple. I have searched the threads and thought I was doing everything suggested, but mine look like crap. Someone please, purdy please help me. TIA Portia

I can't say for sure this will work because I use a parasoy blend for votives (when I do them now) so don't have that problem at all, but I read this a while ago so figured I would pass it on.

You are pouring the second time at 180F. What happens is that the wax cools faster right at the wick and clings to it, then the rest of it cools and moves down while at the wick the already cooled wax holds on and thats why you get that dimple.

I'm not sure were I read it or if I'm relaying it correctly but perhaps try pouring cooler. I know the wax I used even stated that pouring at 155 will yield single pour votives - and it works (see pic). Maybe it will work for your wax also? Or at least if the second pour if poured somewhat cooler?

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7046#2

Make chunk votives :) If you have chunks peeking up from the top, this no longer becomes a problem. OK, probably not quite the answer you were looking for but an answer all the same...

you want to wait until the sides of the votive are lukewarm to the touch before you repour.

I agree with Henry, try pouring cooler or at the same temp as the first pour.

What also helps is to slightly tug the wick right before you repour.

HTH.