Wicks End

Hi,everyone Iam new and I"am at wicks end.Hope someone can help.I have tried 8 different wicks cant seem to find the right one.Iam using soy wax,8oz round jar. The closest i have come to the right wick is lx 30 but it has to much mushrooming.But burn envenly .The other is hemp 1400,doesnt burn a clean jar. Help!!!::undecided :cry2:

Hi it me again Meridith thanks for reply.The diameter is 2 half ,fo 1ozper lb,usingPlain 415 flakes partially hydrogenated vegie oil "soybean"I have used lx 30,lx 18,hemp-1400,performa 95,htp104,htp 1212,htp 83,hemp 600-8,51-32-18z.Alot huh,:P please help:undecided

Hi Meredith, and welcome to the "joy of soy"

:tongue2:

1oz pp does not seem like too much FO, but may I ask what scent is it?? I mean, is it a lighter scent, or a darker heavier scent?

IMHO, w/that wax and size jar, I would be looking @ an LX 20 or 22, or an RRD 40 or 47.....these are the only 2 types of wicks I've ever used. I'm trying to figure out why you would need that big of a wick in that diameter :undecided....oh wait- according to my pamphlet, the 415 is pure soy, which I have found to need a larger wick, so I would take my suggestions up a notch or 2.

HTH

Hi Meredith! Welcome.

I have used the natural soy waxes for 6 years now. With a 2.5" diameter jar, the HTP1212 should have been plenty hot for that jar and the amount of fragrance you are using. Another question: Are you using any color? If so, what color? Also, knowing what fragrance you are trying to burn would be a big help.

I use the cotton wicks (hottest wicks on the market) in my soy waxes and have had great success with them. The cotton wicks seem to mushroom a bit more than the other wicks, but if your jar is wicked correctly, the mushrooming can be controlled. What's surprising to me is; you have tried the HTP1212 in this jar which is a bit hotter than the hottest cotton wick (62). When the 62 cotton does not work for me, I wick up to an HTP1212. In my humble opinion, the HTP1212 should have been to hot for this jar and the amount of fragrance you are using; unless, the fragrance is a real tough burner :undecided

Another thought I am having is; it could be a possibility that you received a batch of 415 wax that is harder to burn than normally would be. This happens sometimes when using the soy waxes. Soy wax can be inconsistent in its burning and throwing abilities. There are many things that can interfer with how it burns...the climate it is grown in; the chemicals used when it is growing, and the list goes on. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. This is just a thought since you have used some pretty hot wicks and cannot seem to get it to burn properly.

Give us a bit more information so we can help you figure this out.

Hi Shan. When you say round jar, do you mean round like a jelly jar or round like a bulb jar. Sometimes shape makes a difference. The 415 is the best thrower out there, but does have some occasional hard to melt batches...just ask me how I know...200 lbs later... I would suggest making a candle without any color or scent and see how that burns. If it still won't burn with a smaller wick pm me and I'll give you a list of the things I have tried and the wicks I used. I'm still working on it, but had two with first burns today that look pretty good so far. Time will tell. maybe this will help. Beth

With a 2 1/2 in. diameter jar, you should be able to find a wick that will work. Here are some starting points with wicks for you.

60C - I think the 62C will be too hot but if the 60 doesn't work, try the 62.

HTP 126 - you can try the 1212 but I think this one too will be too hot.

CD 18 or 20

ECO 10

You really need to get a scale to be able to maintain consistency and have the correct weight with FOs since some are heavier than others. It's the best investment you can make.

Hi Meredith! Welcome.

Hi Meredith, and welcome to the "joy of soy"

:tongue2:

1oz pp does not seem like too much FO, but may I ask what scent is it?? I mean, is it a lighter scent, or a darker heavier scent?

IMHO, w/that wax and size jar, I would be looking @ an LX 20 or 22, or an RRD 40 or 47.....these are the only 2 types of wicks I've ever used. I'm trying to figure out why you would need that big of a wick in that diameter :undecided....oh wait- according to my pamphlet, the 415 is pure soy, which I have found to need a larger wick, so I would take my suggestions up a notch or 2.

HTH

115284323681785.gifIf you stop long enough to listen, you will hear HIM

quote.gif

Hey thanks for the welcome. I feel warm and fuzzy all over. :grin2: But I think you gals confused me with Shan. I've been around for awhile. :D

I tried a digital scale and couldn't get a good reading so I returned it and haven't purchased a new one yet. So in the mean time what has worked for me on C3 and C1 wax flakes is 2 cups = one 8oz. jar. I usually make 2 8oz. jars at a time (more than that and it gets too messy for me) so I use 4 cups of flakes to get two containers filled.

There is quite a disparity in burning between 5 different types of wicks. It may help to experiment with a type or two, and get to know those wicks.

Also, the availability and accessibility of them. Such as... there are only 6 sizes of those hemp wicks, and I don't think a lot of suppliers sell them. However, I'm not saying they're not feasible for your application (b/c they may be).

Out of your list, I'd probably try the HTP 104. The problem is that you may not have a HTP 93, 105, or 126 to compare with it. My recommendation: get some consecutive sizes in whatever type of wick you are testing (sample pack, etc.). Good luck... and happy burning! :wink2:

BTW... welcome to CT!