Payments for out state Wholesale orders.

Fire and Ice

I have several stores that have intrest in carrying my candles in FL. How do you accept payments for long distance wholesalers? Do they pay through Paypal before the shipment is made or after? And how do they pay for shipping when You have to use cc for Click & ship throu USP ground? I don't use any credit cards due ID threft!:mad: I have no way of weighing the packages to determin shipping.

Fed-Ex IS NOT an option as their terminal is 40 miles away and I didn't care for they way they treated my incoming shipments.

These accounts could put me in a position to be able to buy a melter so I'd like to accept them but I've never done wholesale out of state nor out of my county. I deliver all candles locally and pickup the money when I deliver the candles.

Nothing has been agreed to. They're loving the candles but we haven't spoken so I'm looking before I leap into high waters!

Advice needed! Thank You!

I accepted a check. I guestimated how much the shipment was going to weigh, used the UPS calculator to figure out what the shipping cost would probably be, and included that in the amount due. When I actually shipped it, I gave them back change if I guestimated too high. If I was too low, I ate the extra charge.

You can try the check thing but if your serious about doing wholesale then you gotta get a merchant acct and accept credit cards. All I do is wholesale, i have a nice set of scales that I use and everything is shipped UPS. I buy my boxes from a box store so the dimensions are printed on them. Its really pretty easy just takes time to pack and ship. Trust me I now understand why people charge for S&H, its WORK. Once you get a system down it runs smooth.

Yes I went and looked at scales at Staples today. I have found the one I will purchase for $55.00. It will weigh upt to 50lb boxes. I don't plan to place for that two cases of candles in a box so that will work.

How do you open a cc merchant account? It isn't that my credit rating is poor, it's that I had problems with ID theft when I did have card. What a mess to clear up!:mad: And yes, the info was stolen over the net. I paid off the card and cancelled them. Have used them since.

First u need a plan. :)

Determine your minimum intial order then your re-order size. Also, the lead time in which it takes to process an order. Then the payments types you accept. It would be very wise to put this in writing before ANY transaction is made. I always have them pay for the intial order UP FRONT (check, credit card or Paypal) and then we go from there. I do give net 30 to my larger wholesale accounts. Thats personal preference. They seem to order larger when I give them credit terms. Whatever works best for you.

On the shipping. I do not charge my wholesale accounts shipping. I rolled that into the cost per unit. Being a salesperson myself, people LOVE the idea that they are getting something free. I use this as a sales pitch and it works. It depends on how u are set up for shipping. I use Fed Ex and get all my shipping supplies free from my work so it keeps my cost low. Its all in what will work best for you. You will seem much more professional if you use non- recycled shipping supplies, IMO.

The scale at Staples is WAY overpriced. You could get a better quality scale on Ebay for about 25.00 with the shipping. Check out these two sellers oldwillknott or scalebargains. Or you can go to his site at www.oldwillknott.com and check out what he has to offer.

If you open a Paypal Premier or Business account you can accept credit cards. Its a low fuss alternative to a merchant account. You don't pay for it unless you actually use it. You only pay the fees, not a monthly service charge. With merchant accounts, you pay a monthly fee even if you do not use it that month. Plus the transaction fees.

You can also open free shipping accounts with DHL, UPS online and print labels from your computer. I do Fed Ex, but you stated that wasn't an option. Use all the free resources on the web to your advantage. I use the online shipping service all the time and have never had an issue.

I just ordered a scale from oldwillknott for shipping purposes...it was in the clearance section for $29.90 and it weighs up to 30lbs. It has some really nice features and comes in a few colors in case that's important to you!

I actually ordered a new candlemaking scale as well and shipping for both scales was less than $10 and I'm across the country for them.

The new wholesale accounts I have (a few are out of state) were set up with net 30 day terms so they will most likely be sending a check. Now, I personally am not thrilled about it, but the guy who got me the accounts set them all up this way (for now!).

Thank YOU Terri! I KNEW you'd have all of the answers.

I will be writing the contract this weekend. The Minium order will be two cases a month since we are headed into the holiday season.

As I said, they and I are just exploring this idea. I am researching everything and keeping in mind all of the things like weather both in FL and here during winter months. I plan to proceed with care.

Yes these could be wonderful accounts but not if I've forgotten something big.

At this point nothing has happened and it might NOT happen at all.

The stores are in Bocca Ratone and Key West FL

How do most of you package a case of candles so they won't break? Do you order the special shipping boxes for candles, or just pack them yourself. I have shipped some with the flat-rate boxes and just stuffed them with paper and peanuts. Now I am getting bigger orders and want to be prepared. TIA

What I plan to do, Island, is measure the case box my jars come in, add and inches or tow on all sides for peanuts and go to ULINE and order boxes that fit that measurement. Uline has warehouses all over the US and can ship quickly to you. You order the boxes in 25 count bulk bundles.

The candles will be wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in each divided section of the origional pint box and securely taped shut. Then placed it the Uline box which will have peanuts all around the pint box. Top, Bottom and all sides. This is the way I've shipped candles all over the US to friends and Family. Never had a broken jar yet!:wink2: I've shipped to FL, Calf, and points in between.

I also always put proper labeling on to to and state on the box to keep out of direct sunlight for long periods of time!

I also make sure to insure all shipments too. I ship UPS Ground.