salts going mushy

KFTS

I've been basically using the BC instructions (diffrent kinds of salts tho) and after sitting a month or two, the salts get mushy. I quit using liquid colorants so that wasn't it. I tried different carrier oils. What is the deal?

here's the recipe--Should I leave the oil out or would they be drying then?

the recipe

• total 2 lbs salts (dead sea salt, sea salt, epsom salts)
  • 3 oz Dendritic Salts
  • 3/8 oz Fragrance or EO (.375 oz on digital scale) (about 3/4 tbsp)
  • 1 oz (2 tbsp) Glycerine or Carrier Oil for moisture, such as soybean, grapeseed, sweet almond, etc. Or you can use Cyclomethicone to add a silky feel, and it leaves no oily residue in the tub!

Dead sea salt attracts moisture along with the glycerin. Drop them both, or just keep the dead sea salts and use them at a much lower percentage. They have such fab label appeal!
I skipped the glycerin and used sunflower oil last time. OK, I will skip the oil totally next time. Maybe throw some natrasorb in with the dendritic and FO to boot. mush salts are not purdy!

The oil isn't doing it. It's the salt attracting water. I would suggest you use mostly non-dead sea salts and keep the oil. IMHO
hmmm, okay, you and Bunny both saying the dead sea salts is the culprit. I really wanted to keep those in there. I will reduce them to a much lower percentage, they are the #1 percentage salt I use. wahhh. but at least they won't be mushy :tongue2:

okay made a batch. (By the way that first post should have said 3 lb salts.) I did 20 oz sea salt, 20 oz epsom, 10 oz dead sea salt, 3 oz dendritic, 1 oz SAO, 0.4 FO. (I wanted a little over 3 lb total in case anyone did the math) They're drying now. Let you know in a couple of months if they go mushy. :tiptoe:

you must have the patience of a saint! i'm having trouble waiting 6 weeks for soap...
Unfortunately I thought my salts were fine until I had a few that handn't sold and had been sitting around for a long time. :embarasse Luckily I haven't sold many and I'm betting most were used before sitting around that long. So I'll wait and see...

You may be adding to much of something, FO or carrier oil, I have never had to let my salts dry out before, I don't let them get that wet that they would need it. Maybe try pulling back on the carrier and see how it goes. I keep mine stored in big plastic tubs with lids and fill orders as I go. I have one that I discontinued last year and had a # left and it is in my shop still in tact. Also, I did not see all the salts you are using besides the dead sea but if you are using epson salts I remember someone telling me they had a problem with them getting weird.

HTH

They are already looking a tad moist and clumping a bit. I'll have to go with sea salt, probably drop the Epsom altogether and keep the Dead sea salt % low, oil and FO. Thanks for the help.