Why We Test

So, I was on vacation up north and visited a small shop that had a sign promoting their 100% Soy Candles. I couldn't pass it up, so I went in and found a very small area with maybe 10 different scents in 3 different styles of containers and small votives. The guy told me all the advantages of soy and then proceeded to tell me they had only been making candles for 2 weeks.

The first indication something was wrong was the fact he was selling bags of soy flakes for $1/oz, or $8 for a 1/2 lb baggy. :laugh2:

I didn't want to spend the money on a container, so I just bought a couple of votives. Before I lit them, I made sure nothing flammable was in the immediate area. Sure enough, it stayed lit for about 1 min and went out. I couldn't get it burning again. I was very happy I didn't spend the money for a container.

Lesson to anyone just getting started: Test, Test, Test and more Test. If I didn't know any better, I would be really pissed I bought two candles and neither stayed lit. Instead, I just laugh and know that all my testing will be worth it.

speaking of testing, I am going to test some new wax tonight and also new FO's. I got 12 of them from JS, 1oz samples. I always measure my fo in a small glass with the oz on it. People on here say they weight it out, could someone explain that process a little for me. I dont think my scale will weight an ounce. And if I do it my old way what are the differences by using the cup, know what I mean? I hope so, :undecided Thanks a lot, Dee

speaking of testing, I am going to test some new wax tonight and also new FO's. I got 12 of them from JS, 1oz samples. I always measure my fo in a small glass with the oz on it. People on here say they weight it out, could someone explain that process a little for me. I dont think my scale will weight an ounce. And if I do it my old way what are the differences by using the cup, know what I mean? I hope so, :undecided Thanks a lot, Dee

If your scale doesn't measure in ounces, I would get a new one. I got mine from Target for aout $19 and it measures in ounces and pounds. I weigh out all wax and FO. FOs do have different weights - that's why when you buy a pound of FO, the bottle isn't always full - some Fos are just heavier. When you weigh out an ounce, you will have a more accurate measurement :)

It doesn't really matter. 1 ounce by volume (the way you're doing it with the measuring glass) is a different amount than 1 ounce by weight, but as long as you like the amount you're using it's fine.

Weighing the FO would be important if you get to the point where you want to be very consistent, because weighing with a good scale is more accurate than using a measuring glass. Also, certain kinds of candle formulas refer to all the ingredients by weight and FO is sold by weight. When you want to figure out how much your candles cost to make, doing everything by weight is the easiest way.

The first indication something was wrong was the fact he was selling bags of soy flakes for $1/oz, or $8 for a 1/2 lb baggy. :laugh2:

Why would they be selling soy flakes in baggies?? Don't get it.........

Aside from making $15 gross profit on a pound of soy flakes, I really can't think of anything else! Apparently he's not real confident that his candle sales will keep him afloat, and is relying on his customer's ignorance to make easy money.

geek