Uneven contractions ...

... has anyone else had this problem? I am finding that some of my palm wax pillars seem to be cooling at different rates on different sides (of the same pillar) so that I can getting a 'waist' on some of my candles, that is, indents. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Also, has anyone noticed if room temp. plays a significant part in the whole cooling process? It is winter here so room temp is rarely above 16C (60F, I think). TIA.

I don't use palm wax but I did have that happen a few times when I was using paraffin wax (an un-named variety). It's not happened since I switched to soy.

I never did figure out why it happened tho' so I too would like to be enlightened.

Sally.

I get that sometimes too. I get it much less in the summer than in the winter, so maybe it has to do with how fast it is cooling. I wonder if it would help to slow it down. Have you tried preheating your molds?

Not sure about the indent? but with palm wax the slower and warmer you can cool it the better. If it's cold where you are pouring, then turn your oven on until warm, turn it off and let the pillars cool there. Also make sure your molds are warm before pouring.