Is this a M&P type or CP soap? Questions

angiestaff

Ok I went to Lush and purchased the famous Karma soap to me it kind looks like a M&P type soap so I looked up the ingredients on the Lush site and this is what it list as the ingredients:

Ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Water (Aqua), Glycerine, Patchouli Oil (Pogostemon cablin), Orange Oil (Citrus dulcis), Lavendin Oil (Lavendula hybrida), Pine Oil (Pinus), Lemongrass Oil (Cymbopogan flexuosus), Elemi Oil (Canarium commune), Sodium Chloride, Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides), FD&C Red No. 4,

I don't know alot about CP soap(I'm still doing alot of reading) but I thought most all of CP soap had lye in it, So I looked at alot of Lush's soaps and did not see lye or any Sodium Hydroxide or NaOH,

So my question is most of the soaps start with the Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Do you think this is some kind of M&P or base that could be found.

Thank you

Angiestaff

Definately MP. The propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate are the givaways.

sodium palm kernelate is palm kernal oil, saponified by lye

sodium stearate is stearic acid saponified

glycerine is a byproduct of soap making, or can be added in.

So basically it's a PKO bar with extra detergents...

The bigger manufacturers, who can afford the tests, label their soaps with the ingredients that are in the product *after* the reaction. Thus, the sodium palm kernelate. Most of us label the ingredients that go *into* the reaction, thus palm kernal oil, sodium hydroxide....

I saw a few minutes of a show about LUSH one time, from the little I saw all their soaps are melt and pour. They are in the same way homemade/crafted as any of us who do m&p just on a much bigger scale.

It showed a couple of guys and this huge pot of soap (it was an orange color don't know which soap) they had one of those very cool pot holder/pouring contraptions and they just poured it onto a huge tray of molds probably close to 100 rectangle bar individual molds, scraped the excess across and then stacked another mold tray on top to repeat the process. I really wish I could catch it again but I don't even know what show or channel it was on.

Sami

Oh, Sami, I'd love to see that show! I just love to watch how the "big guys" make their products. Guess that's part of the reason I like the Food Network--the program that shows how different foods are produced is interesting to me. Also, Food Network is a bit of a novelty since very few foods are actually cooked in my house!!

Jane

Oh thank you Robin! So now I'm gonna do some more searching to see if I can find a M&P with Palm Kernal oil-Do they make such a thing?

Sami I would love to see that show also, the store itself was not quite what I was expecting to see but did not stop me from buying several items, I told my Dh that after reading the Lush forum and seeing all the Lush addicts that I would hate to have to NEED the stuff like some people on the board. But after sniffing my bags the whole way home I took the bath bomb and used it in the tub-the whole time thinking I might can make this myself.

As far as the playdough smell, I did not like the smell of all of the products but they did have some that I really did like(which I had to buy), I did like the Karma, Blue Skies and the Sex Bomb scents.

Angiestaff