Using mixers to whip butters and lotions

Lady Di

I saw a demonstration recently where the woman used her Kitchenaid stand mixer (a countertop one) to whip up her lotion. Another woman used hers to do body butter. It was so fluffy. Do a lot of you use mixers? What kind? Do you find that a larger countertop mixer works better than a hand held one? -- Dianne

For a long time I did them with my hand held, and now I do them with my stand mixer. It comes out so much fluffier. I found that mixing with my handheld generated too much heat on the blades and melted my butter as I was mixing it, so it was kind of like a one step forward two steps back. The stand mixer makes it fluffy and doubles the volume much better. If you cant afford a kitchen aid, or can but want to save money, get one of those old school Sunbean mixers off Ebay. I have gotten 3 so far from Ebay for less than $15, so that I can make different things at the same time:D and they all work like a dream.

I'm in the minority here because I use a hand-held mixer. My Kitchenaid is the professional size which is way too big for the smaller batches of butter I make.

The thing I like best about the handheld is I can move it all around the bowl to get everything churned up quickly. The model I have is very fast by hand-held standards. So as was mentioned above, I take care to mix for less than a minute at a time so the blades don't heat up the butter.

I'm in the minority here because I use a hand-held mixer. My Kitchenaid is the professional size which is way too big for the smaller batches of butter I make.

The thing I like best about the handheld is I can move it all around the bowl to get everything churned up quickly. The model I have is very fast by hand-held standards. So as was mentioned above, I take care to mix for less than a minute at a time so the blades don't heat up the butter.

I use a hand held mixer as well, so don't feel like you are in the minority. I don't even own a kitchenaid.

I use a hand mixer too. I bought the cheapie stand mixer at walmart and it was garbage so I am looking at KA's on ebay but I dont make big enough batches to justify the cost of a brand new one.