Where to find Lye In Australia

angel2211

I've hunted, and hunted & hunted to the point where i'm extremely frustrated and just about to give up..

I cannot for the life of me find Lye anywhere, i can find caustic soda but not 100% caustic soda.. I've searched the net, the yellow pages and i've exhausted my poor ole little brain through trying. What else could it possibly be under. I've searched chemical companies with no luck... Please can anyone help me

Angel, I'm not in your country, and I'm not sure if there are other Aussie's here or not. If you don't get an answer, perhaps join up at the soap dish and ask in their soap forum. There are several Aussie's over there that would be able to help you out with this, I hope.

Thanks rebecca, I'm a member over at the soapdish but never seem to really go there, i look to this board alot more for some reason, I think because i cn usually find what ever i need to know on here. I'll head over there now and start a thread. But im hoping the company gets back to me soon about it.

I am not in Australia either but I thought you might try asking a local company of some kind that works with chemicals to contact thier supplier.

let me explain, I work for a carpet cleaning and water restoration company. I stumbled into my lye by having a conversation with my chemical supplier. He didn't have it on hand but could order it for me by the 55 lb bag. This was great because I had talked to several chemical supply places that would only order it by the skid or pallet (I certainly didn't need that much lye)

You could try talking to your local school to see if you could find out where they get thier janitorial chemicals..after all lye is a great drain cleaner.

You could try some local landscaping supply stores

HTH

Thanks tlc, bet you know why i'm going to pick my kids up eariler then usual today...hehe

I found a place that sells in 25kg bags (about 50 pounds for you guys i think). i contacted them but they haven't got back to me yet.. How long does every one find that 50 pounds will last them roughly. I know it depends on how much soap i make how often. But i'm assuming that it would last a heck of a long time. Would that be right?

that would be right. If you don't go soaping crazy.

You have to figure for a 3lb batch of soap you only use about 6 oz of lye give or take depending.

at that rate you could make well over 100 batches of soap closer to 150

Maybe one of the folks from the Whisk will want half!

Thanks carolgrant. Didn't actually think of that but at the moment i'm still waiting to be approved. So hopefully soon I will be and I can put that too them. Thank you for that idea.

Thanks hun, as soon as the company i contacted decide to get of their lazy backsides and contact me back I will. I've decided it would be cheaper that way then i've always got some even if i get the urge at 2am in the morning and the stores are shut..(which often happens to me, been known to start sausage rolls at 3.45am...lol) Thank you for your help hun, much appreciated. Oh the things i didn't think through before i got addicted to the idea of soaping. :undecided

• 1 month later...