help poision ivy

I agree with Buggtussel. PI is just awful, I've had it many times. I make a paste with oatmeal and water and apply it to the area and/or soak in the bath with oatmeal added(not the instant type). It helps a little. Emu oil helped the area heal faster where I had scratched my skin to the point that it bleed. Good luck and I hope your DH gets to the doctor soon!

Buggtussel,

I just have to ask, is your user name a reference to the town the Clapetts would refer to on the tv show The Beverly Hillbillies? I think it was also mentioned on Petticoat Junction.

A few years ago I got a bad case of poison ivy on my face from wiping sweat off it while working in our woods. I used a tincture of jewelweed I purchased from a woman's site on the internet and it stopped the itch right away. In fact, the entire rash cleared up quickly. She has soap and a salve as well.

The bars of soap I purchased worked nicely too, but I've given them away to friends that had poison ivy rash. Here is her site if you want to take a look:

http://altnature.com/order.htm

Good luck!

OTC hydrocortisone helps the itching, so does benadryl if you are not allergic. ALWAYS remove any residual PI off skin with rubbing alcohol, then wash with water and soap. Throw all clothes in washer on hot water. My cat rubbed against my BF shoes which had the PI oil on it still and then rubbed against me...guess how I got PI?? lol How about some oatmeal baths too? Good luck!

My husband used to just squish the jewelweed juice on his PI. Last time the itching was bad and I cooked some regular oatmeal, cooled it in fridge and globbed the paste on his arm and covered with gauze and bandaged in place. Really stopped the itch. If he has lots of blisters he does need the prednisone.

Hope he's better soon.

Glo

I agree, jewleweed is AWESOME! If you have it growing around your house you can crush some up and place it directly on the skin.

You can also save it for later use by doing this:

Gather up fresh jewleweed, remove all the leaves/flowers from the stalks.

Boil water, then pour boiling water over jewleweed, DO NOT add jewleweed to boiling water. Steep for a few min then pour into icecube trays (leaves and all) freeze and store untill needed.

Jewleweed.....it works miracles!! Try the salve - I have used it on my grandkids and myself and was amazed! And the emu oil is great for the spots that have been scratched - really promotes the healing!

Go to Walmart and get some ointment specifically for poison ivy. I can't think of the name of it, but I know it cost $32! I just had to buy a tube of it after dealing with huge 1.5" blisters on my arms.

The stuff has some gritty material in it that instantly relieves the itching and is supposed to remove urishol, the irritant in poison ivy. According to the literature that came with the stuff, it says the oil actually binds to your skin and can't just be washed off with soap and water.

I don't know if that stuff is true or not, but I know that I wish I would have bought this stuff when I first broke out instead of being cheap and going with the $4 bottles of Meijer brand caladryl.

I'll look for the stuff later. Sorry I can't remember the name right now. Of course, it's the only thirty dollar over the counter medicine for poison ivy, so it should be easy to find.

Calamine lotion, epsom salt or baking soda. Baking soda will draw the oil from the PI out of the skin. Rubbing alcohol, aloe vera, powdered alum in a petroleum jelly base, apple cider vinegar mixed with water. Household bleach mixed with equal parts water is supposed toget rid of it within 2 days.

Fels-Naptha Rub the body with Fels-Naptha soap both before possible exposure and afterward, leaving the residue to dry. One of the soap's ingredients, mineral spirits, may be responsible for the good results. After you have been exposed to poison ivy, wash off the resin as quickly as possible, even with plain water.

Tofu If you have some tofu handy, cut it into pieces and attach to the affected areas. It should stop the itching.

Zinc oxide.

The one my DH uses works everytime for him but it sounds gross. Spit on the contaimated area and rub salt into it...this helps with the itching too. Rub it until the little bubbles pop and keep going. Do this a few times a day and his always dries up quickly. I told you it was gross! Ginger