C3 Soy & Sugar Cookies

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice that is given on this board..

I'm new to candlemaking, and especially soy wax candles and I've got a problem. In my area (SE Louisiana) Sugar Cookies is a big seller in candles. I'm currently using Cargill's C-3 wax and have tried the Sugar Cookies F/O from Lonestar, BCS, Just By Nature, Cajun, Peak's, and Alabasters. I'm testing using 4 oz jelly jars and have tried with ECO-4, ECO-6, and 44-24-18z wicks. (Peak's & Alabaster I even tried adding USA) I get amazing cold throw but NO hot throw, even after 2 weeks cure time..

I have had other F/O that didn't give a hot throw, but changed brands and had a hit. I'm stumped... I've got 464 wax (10# bag) on order to see if a change of wax will do the trick...

Has anyone else had this problem with find a good Sugar Cookie fragrance oil?

Thanks in advance for the wonderful and insightful advice....

BubbleBath

I've tried them in several size rooms. My bedroom is 16 X 16, bath is 10 X 12, office is 12 X 12. My workroom is 15 X 30. I usually let them burn for about 2 hours.

I used 1.5 oz per pound for all but Peak's & Alabasters (1 oz/per pound).

Thanks you soooo much for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

BTW Brat, I'm the proud mama of a 2002 convertible Mustang. I love it.

I add the fragrance oil at 175. I use a Presto Pot and heat my wax to roughly 185 degrees then pour into my pour pot. Then, I add the dye and stir. Usually the wax is between 175 - 177 when added.

This is only with Sugar Cookies, I haven't had this problem with any othe scent so far. :o

Are you sure that the FO is mixing completely into the wax? Sugar Cookie tends to be a heavier FO and might require more heat and/or a longer mixing time to make sure it's fully incorporated. I would also suggest burning longer before making a throw decision - make sure you get a full melt pool. :)

I generally add FO around 175-180 and stir for about two minutes. But I have a few Fos that require much longer stirring times. My Cinnamon Buns takes 10 minutes to fully incorporate sometimes and that's not even at 6%.

Another thing I thought of is that this wax has a higher MP and so maybe the wick you're using isn't helping your throw. Are you wicking up on the Sugar Cookie FO at all? Maybe try a different size wick or a different type all together. But try to only change one thing at a time, so you know what the problem is. HTH :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little followup. I received a phone call from someone I had given a sugar cookie candle to test. She wanted to buy one, but they were not tested, so I gave it to her to test. Hadn't heard from her in a while, so I figured it was another Sugar Cookie dud. Well, she called to she that she LOVES the sugar cookies and ants buy more. I was in complete SHOCK!!!! I have not gotten a good throw from that sample (two friends also tested the same candle with no throw). Went back through my goof box and got one of those, lit it in my bedroom and WOW!!!! I guess it needs a 5 week cure time; but it smells awesome.

Just a little followup. I received a phone call from someone I had given a sugar cookie candle to test. She wanted to buy one, but they were not tested, so I gave it to her to test. Hadn't heard from her in a while, so I figured it was another Sugar Cookie dud. Well, she called to she that she LOVES the sugar cookies and ants buy more. I was in complete SHOCK!!!! I have not gotten a good throw from that sample (two friends also tested the same candle with no throw). Went back through my goof box and got one of those, lit it in my bedroom and WOW!!!! I guess it needs a 5 week cure time; but it smells awesome.

C-3 needs at least 7 days for curing! I was about to post that that was probably the problem.