Have you been plugging your sites?

LadyRat

Bumping for the mods since I don't know how to find you.

In regards to my post...that was not an affiliate ID that I posted. It was a link to my own plug board on my site. I do not receive ANY funds from plug-board. It was a way for others here to post their link on a plugboard that belongs to me in an effort to help each other network.

The ID referred to here is my page ID not an affiliate ID.

I hate to split hairs, but I'm really confused. Why is it okay for people to put links to their own candle and soap websites in their signatures but it's not okay for me to put my links page on here?

I'm not a supplier. I'm a person like every other candlemaker on here. This is my personal website. I don't get why this is self-promotion when I'm not experiencing any monetary gain from it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but color me confused.

It is a fine line. You don't have to be receiving funds for a post to be deemed self-promotion. Free advertising counts as well.

Your question was about the plug-board site, wondering if anyone was using it. The link to your own plug board is unnecessary, and could be construed as self-promotion so it was removed. Twice. Not saying that was your intent but we try to remain consistant.

From the site:

A plugboardallows visitors to your site to plug/advertise their website. It will help keep them coming back to your website and helps everyone, including yourself, to get more visitors.

• 1 year later...

I don't! LOL. But some people do. When was the last time you bought something from a site you found from a plug board?

An argument could be made that participation in plug boards increases your google page ranking. And that MIGHT be true if the plug board used ALT and TITLE information within the link. But even then, the site itself would have to be full of relevant, quality content. Not just advertisements all over the place. Google can't read the content in an animated gif, so it doesn't know what you are trying to advertise without the ALT and TITLE tags within that link.

But don't take my word for it. This is what Google has to say about it:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34432&topic=8524

But, plug boards can be fun, and certainly don't hurt anything, unless you don't care to have all of that blinking and crazy animation on your site, and of course if you don't mind having competetors advertising on your site :D