Testing Candles

I am a newbie. I just started making candles. I would like some help in the testing process. How would I exaclty test a candle after I have made it? What is the exact process and what would I be looking for?

I would greatly appreciate any input!!!! Thanks in advance.

Ususally You're looking for how/cold throw and how it burns.

http://www.candletech.com/comparingscentthrow.htm

As for the burn it really depends on what type candle you're making. For pillars, you want a full melt pool that's about 1/2" deep and leaves about 1/4" thick wall, that can be hugged, but wont blowout. Burn 3 to 4 hrs the first burn.

Containers and votives are a bit different, a full melt pool will have No wax hangup on the sides. Containers should reach full MP after 1 hr per inch diameter and be about 1/2" deep. Ie, a 3" container should have a full melt pull in about 3 hours.

With all, you usually want a clean(no sooting), even(not lopsides) burn.

I may have forgot some stuffo or be a bit off since I'm just waking up :D But this should get you started. HTH

With containers, when trying to find the correct wick size, it helps to pour a wickless container. Then with a skewer or something around that size, poke it through the wax in the container to make a hole. Place a wick inside the hole & cut to the correct height. After burning, when you know it's not the correct wick to use, just take the wick out (it helps to do it while the candle is still partially liquid). Then just insert a new wick & test again.

What do you mean 'pour the rest'? If that wick worked perfectly then yah pour more with the wick. If it didn't then test another wick and test and test until it's good. Before you sell make sure your candles are well tested and have caution/warning labels on them because some people are remarkably stupid about flammables. HTH MH

I would get your formulas down and thoroughly test everything before considering selling them. EVERY single FO should be tested in the type of candle you are doing. Also, if you make any changes to your formula, they should be re-tested.

When I started, I tested & tested and finally got it good. Then right after that, I decided I wanted to change my wax AND jar. So basically, I had to start over at square one. It's a PITA but needs to be done. Good luck!

To sell legally you need to have a DBA, Business Licence, Tax ID#, and Product Liability Insurance. But I suppose if your just starting to make candles these are a future worry. As others have advised, you've got a lot of testing to do before you should even consider selling. It only takes 1 faulty candle to possibly burn someones house down and bring a lawsuit down on the candlemaker. Not trying to discourage you, just bringing some important factors to your attention. No one can stress the importance of thurough testing enough. So my biggest suggestion for you at this point is to first worry about making a candle that your proud to call yours, that burns perfectly in your opinion, and worry about a system and selling later. That'll keep this fun and much less stressful. As any experienced chandler can tell you, getting that consistant perfect burn is stressful enough all on its own. Welcome to the board and a very addicting craft. :D