Hobby Lobby wax?

ahhh, thanks! I didn't see that before. OOOOPS!

I really, really would like to think this wax is decent. I wonder who makes it?

The earth makes it. ;)

Seriously, you sound like you need reassurance...so don't worry. You could use canning wax from the grocery store and make beautiful candles out of it. All fully refined paraffin is more or less the same "quality" of wax. It's not so much a matter of good or bad or a brand name, just what properties might lend themselves most easily to your application.

I don't know much about wax, but Hobbly Lobby has their own candle and soap company in OKC, and they are packaging a lot of their own stuff now, including candle supplies and soap supplies.

law

Hmmm, true, so I posed the question poorly - I would like to have the same properties I get from 1343. :)
Heh, I thought you'd stop worrying but that's a fair question. We could compare if the detailed properties are listed anywhere.

It won't tell you everything. Unless it's the same paraffin, there are always small differences in how it looks or burns or molds. Still, straight paraffin in that MP range should be pretty versatile and there probably isn't a show-stopper unless maybe you're concerned about how it mottles. That can vary a lot so you have to try it.

Don't get too caught up in the 1343 mystique. We talk about it because it's widely available. If we lived in Canada it would be 1242. People also use no-name Japanese waxes in that MP range and they work just as well.

Yeah, no listings for the properties that I can find. Bummer. I keep thinking I would like to stock up on it but I hate to start all over with testing to get a perfect rustic/mottle. I thought maybe since the MP is the same, it might be the same? Seems Hobby Lobby packages it. I wonder if they repackage it from IGI? hmmmm... that would be nice, huh?

Jessica, are you happy with the results you get with the wax? I swear, the little bit that I have used it seems so close to 1343 - I am thinking of never paying shipping charges again! But, I don't know... I make all pillars.
Try to make one of your standard candles and see if it looks and burns similar. You'll never know until you try.

Jessica, are you happy with the results you get with the wax? I swear, the little bit that I have used it seems so close to 1343 - I am thinking of never paying shipping charges again! But, I don't know... I make all pillars.

Well, I haven't used it for my pillars, I used 1240 for those. I haven't made any pillars in a while, well since I ran out of 1240 actually.

I use the HL wax for my tarts and votives, but I mix it with my soy/paraffin blend.

I agree that the only way you will know if it will do exactly what you want it to is to try it and compare. We all want to achieve different things.

Good Luck!

-Jessica

But, gosh, can't you just TELL me and assure me it will be perfect?! (whine, whine)
Heck, if I had some lying around I'd send you a sample just to make you feel better, LOL!

But I can still help get you out of this state of uncertainty. I did a search and found a thread about someone completely failing to get 138 MP Hobby Lobby paraffin to mottle. Not such a good sign for you.