Lye Sub?

angel2211

Having never made soap before and seeing some beautiful soaps today on here i decided to order a basic M&P kit from my supplier only to find they are closed for stock taking. So i hunted through the forums again and found a simple beginners soap recipe posted by Crafty1 AJ in the B&B recipes. My question is this. I'm desperate to make soap and understand that i can't make soap without lye. Is there however a sub for lye that i can use. I'm in australia and we don't have walmart or anything like that. The best i have is a safeway supermarket. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm an addict already just reading the forums and can't find another cheap supplier for the sake of a couple of weeks everyone else is 3 or 4 times dearer then the one i have.

No there is not a sub. for lye, to make soap.

You might be able to find Red Devil Lye in the drain cleaning section of your supermarket (see attached pic). If not then look for 100% sodium hydroxide (can't have anything else in it) drain cleaner either in the supermarket or the hardware store.

post-219-139458404207_thumb.jpg

lol funny you should say that I was actually thinking of going down there and checking out drain-o but was thinking it probably wouldn't do. Thanks a bunch for your help. Like I said I'm desperate to try soaps I'm even thinking of actually buying soap and melting it down just so I can then remake it..lol just don't know enough about it to do it yet. Thanks again.

edited to fix spelling.

I actually have "Mechanix" brand Caustic Soda which says on the label "Active Constituent: Sodium Hydroxide" it didn't say anything about being 100% so i went to their website www.pascoes.com.au and found some information on it that said " Concentration in this product:>98%"

So i'm guessing this would be no good? Sorry to be a hassle. But will check out others when i go shopping.

I'd find out what that other 2% is! LOL Lye is sometimes called sodium hydroxide or caustic soda.

Don't make me come down to OZ and teach you how to make lye water from hardwood ashes in a rain barrel! :laugh2:

Thanks AJ, one step ahead of you there i emailed them to find out so i'm waiting back on a response from them. Hopefully it wont be too long i'm having withdrawals from not being able to make soaps and considering i've never made a soap that's sssssooooooooooooooo bad. I've been in a grump all day:D . Going to check out the health shop tomorrow see what that turns up, never know what you'll find in there so here's hoping.

There are several Australian soapers on another board where I'm a member. Maybe you'll have to hook up with them and ask them where they get their stash! :wink2:

LOL yeah right i'm soap challenged in all aspects, This is the only forum i know of....LUCKILY considering i've been spending every waking moment scouring it. And most of the time when i'm suppose to be asleep i've been here too. OMG imagine if i found another one..hehe:grin2:

Try the Whisk or the Dish ... and I don't have their addresses right now. I'm sure there are tons of other boards out there though too.

Thanks Scented (i think..lol ) i'll check them out now mind you its nearly 3.30am and i've been researching soaps since 2.30am yestie morning so if i go to bed i mean thanks. If not then it's ur fault for aiding and abetting an addiction in the waiting. ;) thanks though.....lol

Try the Whisk or the Dish ... and I don't have their addresses right now. I'm sure there are tons of other boards out there though too.

I found the addres for the whisk not sure if i'll be accepted there. I need to fill out an application form and have people vouch for me to be accepted and i don't know any one yet but i've got it bookmarked and will read through the forums. Thanks again for the information. :)