Label Design Help needed

angel2211

I am a hopeless designer. I've been looking at everyone's labels and i'm totally envious of the superior professionalism to them. I'm only new to all this and would like to start my own aromatherapy business. It started as a sideline to my other business but have become hooked on it all (mind you i've only made the basics; bath salts, bath bombs, milk baths. Shower gels, bubble baths & lip balms from base). I figure it will be a little while before i get into business fully but am using this time to set up packaging and labeling. In australia im having huge difficulty finding a supplier of waterproof (polypropylene) labels, so that is my first hurdle my second is designing the label. I've made a design that i love but feel it will be to "busy" on a label. Can anyone give any advice as to how they decided on their labels. I love the simplistic, stunning professional look but just can't get my brain to tell my hands and computer mouse what that is..lol Any help would be great.

I don't know how to add my images here as my profile says i can't post attachments (yes im a forum newbie too:rolleyes2 ) So i can't show the designs i have already but any help would be fantastic.

It actually says i can post now so did my best. For some reason my talc labels have resized themselves and im too lazy to remeasure the containers at 4am so will upload those another time. I love the red rose design but just think it might be a little bit too busy. Mind you it took me 2 weeks to figure out how to even put a border in psp so quite proud of these even if they are amateurs work. Aromelusions will be my business name, and i don't have all ingredients etc. worked out on labels just yet and still need to add weight etc. Any critisim greatly appreciated, it's what makes us better ourselves. So there you go an open forum to splurt your thoughts and to let her rip'....hehehehe

Edited to say the last one "design.jpg" was just a quick 5 minute muck around to try something simple. I'm not the best at doing simple so was kinda hard and 5 minutes done my brain in. I quite like the design though but feel it's missing something and can't figure out for the life of me why i included a lightning bolt...Guess i just liked it.

post-4041-139458404223_thumb.jpg

post-4041-139458404227_thumb.jpg

post-4041-13945840423_thumb.jpg

post-4041-139458404232_thumb.jpg

I don't think they look so bad. The second one does seem a little busy, but the first is nice. Don't think I'd use so many colors on the fonts, though. Your lip smoochies font is very neat, but it's difficult to read. I don't care for the third one. The one with the lightning bolt is different, unique.

I'm not pleased with my labels yet. I was at first, but now my stepsister's working on a design for me. Can't wait to see it! Keep at it, angel, you'll come up with something you like and fits your products.

Thanks for the responses. I do agree on the colours in the fonts for sure, But can't actually decide on a colour i do like, Considering everything i do in my life is black. It's extremely hard for me not to design a black label. My other website was designed for me and done in Pinks. I wanted pinks and had it designed because i knew if it wasn't black i would have absolutely no luck and that's the same trouble im having here. As for the font for lip smoochies. I love the font ( just had to use it somewhere) but i'm with you on that as well. Considering I put it in there and knew exactly what it said. When i loaded it up the next time even i had to look twice at it. The font on Aromelusions is the killer. I spent 3 days searching the net for that font. I want a nice swirly whirly girly font for this (everything i'm not...lol) and i finally found that one and liked it but sometimes. L's look like P's and F's look like t's etc. So may have to give up on that one even though i personally do like it.

Font's i used were:

Aromelusions is written in "Zapfino Linotype two"

Lip Smoochies is written in "Words Of Love"

Ingredients on the lip balm label written in "BigMisterC

Oh and lip smoochies isn't what the will be called i just haven't come up with a name for them yet so, that's not a definate yet.

Thanks for the feed back it's fantastic, well i'm off to search the font sites again :)

For you or anyone interested in making their own labels, brochure, webpage layouts...

There's an awesome book that lays out the practical basics for design and typography called: The Non-Designers Design Book by Robin Williams. Barnes & Noble carries it for $19.99US. I highly recommend this easy to read & easy to understand book. Two thumbs waaay up! :thumbsup:

OOhhh thank you magsglass will definately check that one out. Sounds fantastic. Considering I run 2 businesses already and i'm looking to start aromatherapy as a third business that's the type of thing that i could use in all of them thanks.