My 1st experience w/ booth

I'll try to make this long story short....

This month is my 1st month in any shop. I went today to re-stock, shop had bought and burned a 8oz container candle (soy) and placed it in my recycle basket (not for re-sale just testing). I noticed the inside was a little black. Asked how it burned for them..... the only thing they really said was it got really hot towards the bottom-reallllly hot so they had to blow it out.

OK------ at first I was concerned.... then I looked closer (if I had time I'd take a pic and show you all) - the wax is burned to approx. 1/4in from bottom, THE WICK IS 1 INCH LONG! and its very clear by the amount of wick pcs in the bottom of the jar they never cut the wick. So as Im looking at it she says - we burnt it like we always do, light it at store open and blow it out when we close---- THATS 8-10 HOURS!

So I tell her candles should only be burned a max of 4 hrs at a time and should always be trimmed to 1/4in before each burn. She says -- do you have any literature stating that --- I say yes, only the bottom of the candle and a sign in the booth. "OOO guess I didnt read any of that".

So my issue--- if the owner/employee wont read anything and burns it like my word Im scared of what the consumers pay attention to. I always new the theory that nobody reads the info stuff but come on..... I'm scared to sell them now what if what if what if.

Also now that I re-read my warning label I dont like the wording it makes it sound like min. of 4 hrs with no max ---------- UGHHHHH!

I bought them from a well known suppliers

SOY CONTAINER WARNING:

Warning! Natural Wax is attractive to animals. Keep away from pets. Never leave a burning candle unattended. Keep out of reach of children. Keep wax free of matches, wick trimmings & flammable materials. Do not move while candle is burning or wax is hot. Failure to follow instructions could result in fire, injury, or smoke damage. For optimal burn: Reduce soot by trimming the wick to 1/4 " and centering the wick each time the candle is lit. Do not burn in drafty areas. Candle should remain lit for a minimum of 3-4 hours each time it is burned. Do not extinguish candle with lid. Important: To prevent damage, discontinue candle when 1/2" of wax remains.

This sign is up in my booth....

Directions for a Safe and Efficient Burn

READ WARNING LABEL ON BOTTOM OF JAR.

For all candles, trim wick to 1/4 inch prior to each burn.

For 4oz. candles burn for minimum of 2 and maximum of 4hours.

For 8oz. candles burn for minimum of 2 1/2 and maximum of 4 hours.

Discontinue burning when 1/2 inch wax remains.

FOLLOW ALL WARNING LABEL DIRECTIONS ON BOTTOM OF JAR.

All right Im done, I guess that didnt stay very short..... can anyone tell me what to do? Im scared to sell now. Do you think I covered my bases in writing? Any input would be WELL appreciated.

:angry2::sad2: :undecided

Unfortunately, people just DON'T read. You could shout it through a megaphone, post signs everywhere, tape it to the inside of their eyelids, but nothing works!!! I would reiterate to the store owner the importance of trimming the wick. And if you must be blunt and say look if you don't follow the directions, you can burn your store down, then do so!

I burned one of mine at home a few weeks back and forgot to trim the wick. My boyfriend yells downstairs to me, "Hey, this wick is really high, don't you need to cut it or something." I thought he was clueless about candles, I guess not!! Guess I taught him well. :D

and THIS is why when I test I marathon burn my candles.. I light it and let it burn as long as possible, don't trim the wicks etc..of course I also burn the correct way..but I want to make sure they wont catch the whole dang thing on fire..so I burn them the worst possible way..sometimes in drafts etc. I actually torture the darn thing.:D

I did the marathon burns especially towards the end were I thought it would be the hottest and matter the most to safety. I had trimmed the wick 1st though and then burned it for 10 or so hours. I tested and tested and this wicks gives the best overall burn-----but you have to trim it sometime. I have 400 candles out there and am at a total loss if I feel comfortable now selling them :undecided With looking at that wick at the way bottom of the jar and thinking it had been burning for 10+ hrs I just cant imagine how flippin hot that jar was!!!!!!!! I'm/their lucky it didnt shatter.

With the literature I have in the booth and on the warning label, any input on the legal stand point of it??? I love making candles and think (thought) I had a great product but I dont need to lose my house and life over this :sad2:

You might want to talk to a lawyer about incorporating, then, or setting up a LLC (I think that's limited liability corporation) or the like. There are business-types specifically for small businesses the do just that - limit liability and protect your personal assets.

Also, I assume you have candle-makers insurance (or whatever it's called).

You can count on the LLC if you properly maintain it. Talk to a local atty ( a good business atty) and they can tell you how to do this. If you are commingling funds between the business and personal accounts or not keeping good corporate records, a court may easily find that the business is just an alter ego for you personally and can hold you personally liable for anything that occurs. There are corporate formalities that must be followed to insure protection from liability. Find out what those are and follow them absolutely. It's worth it if anything ever goes wrong and you are sued.

I make my candles to burn how normal people burn them. Minimal trimming, and marathon burning. I wick properly and still have no soot. Consider re-vamping and retesting to modify to the regular consumers.