New to this List/EO question

Hello everyone:

I'm new at candlemaking and am interested in making beexwax and vegetable wax candles. I'm joining the list because of the mutual respect and great help the members of this list have for each other.

I have read a lot and just a bit unsure which wax I should purchase for container candles that will have an excellent throw, if possible, with EO's. I have asked multiple wax vendors for their recommendation, but it seems that FO's are the primary scent that these waxes are tested, and vague help on EO's were given to me. I hope that on this list we have candlemakers that do use EO's and can help me with my dilema. I do not wish to use paraffin/soywax, but strickly a vegetable wax. Please let me know what waxes I should use to determine the best thow.

Thank you,

Luisa

Firstly welcome, i'm quite new here myself but I've found if you ask your questions in the right way you'll get some help, by that I mean don't think you'll be given the answers if you haven't done some ground work yourself.

Secondly so much of candle making is trial & error, some things work for some people but not for everyone, you need to try things out & keep lots of notes & do lots of testing. I originally wanted to use only EO's with my soy but have decided not to limit myself that way & am testing both EO's & FO's.

I can't recommend any particular wax, I only have experience with 2 varieties here in Scotland & it's still too early for me to know which I'll be using. Also shipping costs may have a big influence on the waxes you choose to try as they can often double your costs.

One thing I have found is that EO's take a lot longer to cure & you're unlikely to get a GREAT throw with all EOs but if you have the patience to wait & are prepared to experiment a lot you'll eventually find some that work for you. The quality of whatever oil you use whether it be EO or FO is important to your end result so try to get the best you can.

Finally check out the archives, there is so much information here I learn something every time I look for some help. And one last thing ...buy sample sizes of whatever you want to try that way you'll not be left with lots of stuff you don't want to use.

Have fun.

Sally.

First of all make sure that there is a demand for a "more natural" product in your area because testing alone can get pretty costly. I have done some preliminary testing with Greenleaf's pure soy and Lavender EO. I don't think that you will ever get a knock you down throw using eo's but the people I deal with that want eo's already know this. I hear a lot of negatives in regard to eo's and candle making but there are some people that have good luck with it. I'll see if I can do a search and find some links for you.

My mother has requested for me to do EO rather than FO. I'm very hesitant. I've read alot people say they are not that strong in fragrance throw. Is that due to they're more for aromatherapy & natural benefits?

Sorry, Shelia we were posting around the same time.

Thank you everyone:

Sally: Thank you, I will be checking the archives.

Sheila: thank you for the the links. I should have said excellent throw for EO's. The purpose for using EO's only is for aromatherapy purpose. I plan not to color my candles and I know that the throw will not be strong as for FO's, but that is fine for me. I have purchase candles with EO's only and the throw is mild and pleasant. In fact, if my doors are open in the room, I cannot smell at all, my goal is to match a good vegetable wax to a good EO combination.

Thanks again,

Luisa

Alot of candle makers give EO's a bum wrap because they haven't studied their characteristics. EO's evaporate quicker than regular FO's because they do not have synthetic binding agents in them. They are also photosensitve and will go rancid if put into direct sunlight for too long. To most that is a pain. But if made strong enough (Yes! you have to wick up quite to get a good burn pool because it is a heavier oil) and poured in an air tight container and stored in a cool dark place. There is no comparison the EO's are awesome. If you are not an aromatherapist it is better to get the blends pre made. There are cetain top, middle, and bottom scents notes that people don't understand.

But try it! Nothing freshens up a room better than EO's.

The candles I've made with EO's are about a month old now & definately maturing nicely (even if the pillars aren't burning right yet) lol. Those in tins have worked much better as the melt pool is bigger.

I agree the throw is lighter...I think fresher is another way to describe it & that's what some people are looking for. Increasing the EO %would make the throw stronger but as EO's do have therapeutic properties & affect us differently to FO's I'm wary of overdoing it..I'm not an aromatherapist but I really want to produce good quality soy candles with EO's so I'm keeping at it.

I've made some tarts with EO's & found them to work well, it takes away the wicking issues too.

Sally.

Alot of candle makers give EO's a bum wrap because they haven't studied their characteristics. EO's evaporate quicker than regular FO's because they do not have synthetic binding agents in them. They are also photosensitve and will go rancid if put into direct sunlight for too long. To most that is a pain. But if made strong enough (Yes! you have to wick up quite to get a good burn pool because it is a heavier oil) and poured in an air tight container and stored in a cool dark place. There is no comparison the EO's are awesome. If you are not an aromatherapist it is better to get the blends pre made. There are cetain top, middle, and bottom scents notes that people don't understand.

But try it! Nothing freshens up a room better than EO's.

Hi Stacie,

Hope I'm not veering off thread with this question but it is connected to the previous posts.

Bearing in mind that EO's do take longer to cure than FO's, what is the maximum time you cure your EO candles for, also taking into account the shelf life of the EO itself?

Hope you or anyone else practised in the art of EO's in soy can help.

Sally.

Sally,

EO's again don't have the synthetic binding agents that FO's do so there is no time limit. I have noticed though when I produce them and store them air tight for a while in a cool place. They almost have a stronger fresher appeal to me when I pop open one and smell it. The top notes work the best in Soy. I tend to like a stronger scented armatherapy myself so I push the fragrance load as much as possible depending on the type of soy. I do prefer to use 415 and I have had no problem with throw. The nice part is it doesn't appear to soot like regular FO's do either. I like to make sinus relief jars too! I just place a jar on the electric warmer and use those in my kids rooms when they get colds. I love FO's. But everything I do revolves around aromatherapy so my heart is in EO's.

Thanks Stacie,

I've got my notes, & little stickers on the bottom of my candles with the date made etc on them so I'll be able to compare fresh to more cured candles in the future.

I'm hoping they won't stay on the shelf so long that they go "off" once they're up for sale, & I'm thinking of making a "light" range too. I had someone test a patchouli 4oz tin for me & loved that it wasn't too heavy on the scent, just a thought tho its early days yet & the ideas are always evolving.

Sally.