Opinions Please

wildangel112

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with someone who wants me to make candles for him to re-sell. He'll supply jars, I supply wax, wicks & fo. He wants them left un-dyed. I already have a breakdown of my costs for supplies, which isn't bad, but not sure what to charge for my time. These will be 16 oz. jars which I can fill for around $2.69-$2.70. Was wondering if $5.00 per jar sounded about right. We're talking about 240 jars to start and see how it goes from there. He's looking to establish an exclusive line, as he puts it. I've never dealt with anything like this before and was wondering if there was any advice, suggestions, etc. any of you would be willing to share. Thanks:smiley2: !!!! Sorry so long:shocked2:

I think you should listen to EB too! You are undercutting yourself way too much. He is only supplying you with jars...you are doing the hard work. And do make sure your name is on them somewhere, even if it is "exclusively designed by _______". The legal side of me also screams "get every intention in writing and get paid up front."

Good luck! Can't wait to hear more.

These will be 16 oz. jars which I can fill for around $2.69-$2.70. Was wondering if $5.00 per jar sounded about right.

Reina, a pretty fair estimate for jar candles is .65 per ounce (solid weight) + 2 times the jar cost for retail. Based on that, your 16 ounce jar would be about 13 x .65 8.45 retail for the wax,wick, fo. So, that 16 oz jar would retail for 10.50 or more, depending on your market.

I do this for a few customers wholesale, and I take my cost of wax per oz and times it by 2.5. I think that is very fair for both of us. They have there own label they put on the candle, but they must have my warning label on the bottom and it has my business name and phone # on it.

Also make sure he's not sending you used mason jars because a second or a third use of these jars could result in cracks or shatter when the customer is burning the candle.

Also make sure liablity is covered in the contract. And who is paying for the warning labels?

Do you know this gentleman? Make sure if something happens that he doesn't throw the mess in your lap if something should go wrong. Sing off on a liablity claus in the contract! Does he have a web site you can check out? Check it out.

Does he expect you to do repours?

What is his idea of turn around VS the reality of your turn around?

Be sure to add that you only ship on a monday so that the candles are not sitting in a warehouse over the weekend where temps can damage them.

Just a few things to think about when putting together the contract for this business deal.:shocked2::wink2:

:)Sorry this may be kinda long, but wanted to update everyone on things so far. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input you all have given me. It's been a lot to think about. I'll admit to being nervous about some aspects of this potential venture, but have to say that the person in question has been staying in contact with us about every little detail. He wanted our final opinion and approval of the jars used, which will be coming from jarstore.com. Anyone ever use their jars??? He also wanted our thoughts on the name, label and warning label, which he's supplying. Before I could bring it up, he pointed out wanting "made exclusively for ________ by us" on the label which saved my bringing it up. We will also be meeting with him in the next few days, as soon as DH's schedule allows. He also asked that I hold off on giving him a final total, as he wants to make sure we have all the details figured out so that I can make sure I have everything factored into my cost. This is due to the fact that I may do the warning labels on the first batch. He will be selling these in the Ebay store he's setting up. He's looking to market them as an exclusive line, available for a limited time, seasonal and such, as he put it. We're supposed to hear from him today, so I will keep you informed as things progress. Thanks again for all your help. It's really appreciated.