pouring votives into holder

Make sure you have a market for it before you jump into this. I know many customers who love votives, but wouldn't pay more for a votive in a holder, since they already have votive holders at home. And votives are harder to get the 4x your cost out of since they are smaller and people will only pay so much for them. Thinking of a special way to market them might help - special glass or something like that. But you can pour directly into a holder. I did some like that for a wedding and they looked really nice :)

I havent thought of that. I know that I need to offer some sort of a votive. But all the supplies that you need such as, molds, pins, different wax, additives, cello bags etc. I just dont know if I want to get into all that.

I found a supplier that has 3 oz. votives for 9.96 for 36 of them, thats 27 cents. whats the going rate for a votive now a days? I could just add the cost of the votive holder on the cost of a regular votive and not make a profit off the glass itself. so I would add .27 cents the price of each votive. That doesnt sound too bad does it?

I charge $1.25 for my votives, but prices will vary depending on your area. The mere fact that the votive is in a holder will deter many customers. Especially ones thinking of shipping charges.

Votive molds and pins are one-time investments. Get some shrink wrap tubing for $25, a sealer for $19 and a heat gun for $19 and you have everything you need to package your votives. It really is cost effective, since the tubing comes in 1800 foot rolls and will last till the end of days, lol. Having a different wax isn't that big of a deal either. Just find one you like and order. It won't be any more expensive than the wax you are using now. Plus, regular votives are easier to store than glass and having glass shipped to you will increase the cost and I'm not sure that you could make that up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. But making votives isn't that hard or that time consuming once you use the presto and get a system down. Packaging them is the same way - get a shrinking system down and it doesn't take that long. I would start with the regular votives, if I were you. They are a great way for people to try your product without investing a lot of money in one single fragrance.

Thanks guys for all your help. I was thinking about putting a little twist on the votive holder to justify there pricey cost. Im thinking about doing a Vintage label, Inspired by all vintage patterns and fabrics. I would design a wrap around logo that is made from the textile design can be removed and market it as a limited edition. What do you think. And maybe I can gather a few short sentences on the history or designer of the textile and put that on the logo as well. Just thinking of ways to make my market bigger.

Votives, inside holders, can't be too expensive to make, considering they don't hold much wax, or FO. How about giving them away, free with purchases, of "x" dollars or more, as kind of a way for your customer to sample another of your scents?

I know there are already companies doing this with the 1 or 2 ounce tins, but, it's a thought. A nice, pretty votive, free with purchases of $50 or more.

I do..I sell two different ones.

A 2oz straight sided one and I only sell them for $1.95 each.

Plus I sell the flower pot votives as well for $3.95 each. The 2oz is more popular though.

I hate making free standing votives..WAYYY to time consuming for me..I like the quick stuff..plus I get get one or two everytime a pour a batch of wax in larger jars so I don't waste much wax...and if it is not enough to put in a votive ..I make star melts

Thats a good idea guys, i want to use tea lights for samples or even just the small 2 oz. tins, but not too keen one giving away the glass. I almost always have extra wax after pouring so I just have been pouring the leftoevers in a container to throw away because I havent came up with a good idea to do with it...but now I think I have one.:cheesy2:

Well, giving away the glass is cheaper than giving away the tins. You can buy from cudge.net, and, those votive holders are much less expensive, than the tins, even in the 2 ounce sizes.

Another option, and one I had considered myself last year was to use the glass tealight holders for samples that were a little more upscale. cudge.net has a good price on the glass holders, thanks for sharing that link.

Thats a good idea guys, i want to use tea lights for samples or even just the small 2 oz. tins, but not too keen one giving away the glass. I almost always have extra wax after pouring so I just have been pouring the leftoevers in a container to throw away because I havent came up with a good idea to do with it...but now I think I have one.:cheesy2:

aHHHH..never throw away wax..even if you don't want it offer it to someone one here for fire starters or something. I almost NEVER have leftover wax..I use it for melts..I have stars that are .5 oz each..and even if they are not totally full..I can give those out as a sample. :wink2: I am extremely frugal..can you tell.:D

aHHHH..never throw away wax..even if you don't want it offer it to someone one here for fire starters or something. I almost NEVER have leftover wax..I use it for melts..I have stars that are .5 oz each..and even if they are not totally full..I can give those out as a sample. :wink2: I am extremely frugal..can you tell.:D

I definatly understand. I use to pour into extra jars with a wick but who know if thats the right wick for the combo and some fo's just doninated the rest ie. fresh brewed coffee from Peaks.

I thought about the tart thing, but wasnt sure if the 70/30 wax was good for this application, meaning is it too soft of a wax? Also If I do decide to use the 70/30 for votives w/o the glass and pour into molds will my left over 70/30 be good enough for this type of application?

I definatly understand. I use to pour into extra jars with a wick but who know if thats the right wick for the combo and some fo's just doninated the rest ie. fresh brewed coffee from Peaks.

I thought about the tart thing, but wasnt sure if the 70/30 wax was good for this application, meaning is it too soft of a wax? Also If I do decide to use the 70/30 for votives w/o the glass and pour into molds will my left over 70/30 be good enough for this type of application?

I think the 70/30 will be too soft for tarts. Try it and see, but I would go with a votive wax instead. Votives and tarts are super easy to make with 4794, so you may want to get a slab and try it out. I know you want to stick with one wax, but one wax really won't work for all applications. :)

my wax is a soft soy/paraffin container wax and I use it for tarts..they melt fine..and pop out of the molds and the warmers fine... if you use the clamshell molds they don't get banged up..plus I use little stars..you just have to not throw them around alot..my customers dont seem to mind if either..I sell more of the stars than the clamshells.