Areas with lots of meth labs, buying lye

dixiegal

In our areas we have so many meth labs, I did find out one of our Lowes carry the roebic lye. DO any of you that live in meth areas have problems buying it? its silly but Im really nervous about buying it. I keep seeing a mental pitcure of me taking a few cans to the check out and it raising a red flag with the store thinking Im trying to make meth,lol. I know I can order it online but being new to this and not really knowing if soaping is something I can do or will enjoy doing I cant see going through all the trouble or paying the extra cost of shipping ect.

My last trip to Lowe's, the checkout girl looked at it several times. I bought 6 bottles, and I finally said, I make soap with it. She said oh, well I have a candle business and I'll tell you where to check for larger quantities (cheaper) of lye. And she did.

We've had several utility/plumbing workers at our home recently. When they venture into my workshop and see the giant bucket marked "LYE," I quickly tell them it's for soap. The satellite guy said, "I knew you were a soapmaker and not a meth dealer." I said, "Reallly? How could you tell?"

"Your house smells GOOD!" Apparently meth houses stink like burned rubber or something. If he gets a service call and can smell that it's a meth lab, he bails. Can't say I blame him.

Yea, well I live in suburban NJ, not a meth-lab place, and I had to give ID to buy sudafed for my kids, and could only get one bottle PER WEEK at that store. My son and daughter both have allergies and we go through the stuff like its water. Now we cannot stock up. What a pain.

When I bought mine at Lowes, the guy kind of looked at me strange, but, never asked. I would have showed him my cards or told him it was for soap if he had asked, but, he must not have thought I was too great a threat buying only two cans. :D

Im finally getting to go buy some today, its been really busy around here with my grandkids. taking a business card is a good idea, mine are for candle making but at least its showing I do make stuff besides meth:D