Okay I forgot

It has been a long. long time since I used BW in my soy...

now I want to go with 3%.. but I have forgotten how to do this.. or am just plain brain dead..(and never was any good with Math);)

I want to harden up my soy..

most of the time I pour 4 pds at a time.. any help would be great...

Thanks so Much :) :)

Cathy

I just take the amount of wax in ounces and times the additive by the percent. So, if a pound of wax, take 16 x .03 = .48 or about 1/2 ounce. If using 4 pounds take 4 x 16 which is 64 and then times that by .03 which gives you 1.92 or about 2 ounces. You can do this with any additive, at any percent.

There is a bit more complicated way to do it to take into account displacement of the additive if you want. See Scottopus's explanation of that here http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1103630267 If I was figuring out B&B preservatives and stuff like that I would do it this way too, but my brain works like yours.

There is a bit more complicated way to do it to take into account displacement of the additive if you want.

It's not quite displacement as it is total weight. I'll break it down again:

You said you would like to end up with 4 pounds of a blended wax with beeswax making up 3% of that total weight.

4 pounds * 16 oz = 64 oz

64 oz * 3% Beeswax = 1.9 oz of beeswax

The next thing we need is to figure out how much of our "wax" (soy, paraffin, ect) we'll need to weight out. To find that we could take the total waxes needed (64 oz) and subtract the amount of Beeswax (1.9 oz) which would be 64 oz - 1.9 oz = 62.1 oz of "wax". This isn't a bad way of doing it unless you have multiple additives. In that case you should break it down by percentage which would be total amount needed (100%) and subtract the beeswax percentage (3%) which would be (100%-3%=97%). Then you'll have:

64 oz * 97% wax = 62.1 oz

As you can see they're the same as they should be. A lot of people would've just measured out 64 oz of "wax" and added 1.9 oz of beeswax, but then you wouldn’t be exactly at 3% you would be at (1.9 oz of beeswax / 65.9 oz total weight) 2.9%. This may not seem like much, but if you use higher percentages with multiple additives it could become significant. For the record, this is the proper mathematical way of doing it is using 97% "wax" and 3% beeswax.

Thanks to both of you...

I could not find it when I did the search..

and I could not tell you thank you.. my phone lines got messed up .. somehow through the phone company for a couple of days before they got straighten out.. .. I was having computer withdrawls...:cheesy2:

thank you again..

Cathy