essential oils vs fragrance oil

gagal40

I realize this will be no help whatso ever, but the answer is... it depends.

FROM WHAT I'VE READ: FOs are formulated to hold up in the processing and burning so they are better for candles.

In B&B it depends on what you want. EOs are good for their therapeutic effect, and can be kick-ass strong, but this can make them difficult to use unless you are careful, and some EOs have negative effects (for example pregnant women must avoid some). And EOs are expensive! And the range of FOs is infinite.

Hmmmm, think I answered the question - mostly FOs but it depends on what you want to accomplish!

I think it is a matter of preference. Do you want to go more natural with your scents or synthetic? I use both but prefer essential oils. But before using them, learn about them and what they do. For instance, rosemary should be avoided by people with high blood pressure. However, in the small amount that you would be using to scent B & B products it would probably be ok to use. I have high blood pressure and use rosemary in my body butter -- no problems. Peppermint should not be used by pregnant women -- too stimulating. Spearmint is a good alternative in that case. Orange can cause sensitivity to the sun. But again, in the small amount you would be using to scent with it's probably ok. I make a lotion with sweet orange and spearmint -- have never had a problem with sun sensitivity. There are some essential oils that are just too expensive to buy so a good fo is a good substitute -- rose being a perfect example. Or rose geranium eo is a good substitute for rose too.

I use EO's in soy wax. I haven't had a problem them yet. As a matter of fact I mad some 8 months ago of Lavender spearamint and opened them yesterday. Uffdah! Just as strong. As far as pregnant women they are not suppose to have direct skin contact with certain fragrances such as Lavender or Orange blossom. They do absorb through the skin to the blood stream to the placenta. Aromatically it is harmless. Its how you store them that makes a difference. EO's evaporate faster so you have to keep them air tight plus they are photsensitive so they have to be stored in a cool dark place. Its a drawbrack but I love the benefits. I can tell the diffence between the EO's and the FO's because I have been working with EO's for so long. The average consumer wouldn't know the difference unless he had them side by side and you point it out to them.

You can get cancer from evrything lol. Eos are to be respected. I prefer them over fos. You have to check wich notes they are. Light medium or heavy.

I have been studying them. Knowledge is there. go to your library. They will have several books on this subject. Search aromatherapy.