yard sales and candle sales

dixiegal

I decided to have a yard sale and put my candles and stuff in it too, I just wanted to see how it would go.

We dont have a closed in garage its an open carport so on one side I set up the yard sale stuff and other half I set up candles,wickless candles,tarts, electric candle warmers tart warmers, and regular tart warmers on one table, on another one I set up body sprays,lotions, injected bears,carpet fresh,car spray, and card board air fresheners.. I gave out bath melts and cards to anyone that bought anything from this side.. the

funny thing was I didnt have much to put on the yard sale side( I just hoped the yard sale would draw them in) a few items of cloths a couple pairs of boots and some quilting scraps. It started Thursday and is running through Saturday as of closing Friday night I had made....550.00!!!!! I know that wouldnt be much for you pro sellers but Im very happy, lots of folks are trying my products and hopefully Ill get return buyers....

so if any new ones are wanting to try something to get thier candles noticed I say give it a try, its only one weekend and you have nothing to lose but a bit of time :)

one more day to go

Congrats on that money .. I do this as well , Make a pretty table up with all of my items I sell online and do rather nicely at it ..

Another quick tip is Truck Stops .... The Truckers love it when they can shop from there trucks . My Mom is a Truck Driver and we go to local truck stops all of the time to sell items ..

Plus they talk on CB and tell others when you'll be there again ..

At Christmas in one whole night yes 1 I made $375 in 3 hours I was thrilled as can be , sold all I took ...

thanks so much for the info......my sis is buying a house & she will have a yard & garage.......i was thinking of doing that too but didn't think it would fly but now i know it might.......awesome.......the truck stops, don't you need permission or something like that, do you set up a table, etc. or do you go from truck to truck which is risky cause they may think your a truck hopper (which when i drove trucks you locked your doors & didn't answer if someone knocked) tell me more i live in NE & we have truck stops everywhere.;)

Truck stops, what a great idea!

I really enjoyed the yard sale it gave me chance to see how I would do talking to people and selling my stuff without putting up money to rent some kind of space. Counting today I made 780 !!

It was a good learning experience, between people coming in I tried differnet things on the tables to see what caught thier eyes. I changed signs, re-worded things, tried lighting different scents and watch the reaction. changed up samples I was giving away ect. I am thinking of trying it again in maybe a few weeks with just my products and see how it goes.

How we do it is -

My Mom pulls in the back where you Fuel or Sleep , If they are all the way in back usually they are sleeping . But alot are at teh Fuel Pumps , We ask the owners I called them :) And they said all is fine just if anything happens to me or my mom it is not there responsibility , I said ok :)

We get on her CB and announce it having a Sale come check us out .. Now the first time ever doing this , I pulled my car u beside her Truck as she was in the Fuel Pump ( big mistake LOL ) All the Truckers whined and groaned about the CAR back there , but anyways .. Now I have a box usually a tupperware container like box that has all my items seperated ...

Then we anoounce ( have it written up ahead of time ) you get awful nervous speaking to all them people , I did LOL

Ok , announce what yuou have for sale and prices and what the item offers - I use to sell Smelly Jelly in the Jars with the air hole lids on them and I would say Smelly Jelly best stuff around sit it in your drink holder and let the scent go throughout your truck , and Corn Cobn Sachets ( BIG SELLER ) Say you can hide them under the mattress and your partner will never know you placed it there , My Mo always said Got a stinky feet co driver get this it'll knock the stink out of there ...

But they always came up to the truck I sat in the truck never getting out , window rolled down , and handed them the items and they handed me the money .. They even have Cash Machines in Truck Stops so if they want something and dont have the money they alwasy go get it out of the machines . I gave out Brochures too , to show my online store and said if you ever see anything you need in here that I didnt bring LMK and next time I will bring it ..

Really good money yall in it , cause they cant pull there semis into stores alot of times and always great around Holiday times .

Christmas was the best ever I made at least 10 times the amount I had in stuff ...

And the men are suckers for Smelly Jelly and Corn Cob Sachets , ladies was always - Candles and Bath or Body items .

Shower Sponges dipped in soap HUGE hit with men ..

So many goodies they love :)

Well darn it..I just gave an entire van load of yard sale stuff to our church for the youth rummage sale.. I should have tried this first..I need $$$ to open my shop..and well $500 would be nice...we live on a pretty busy street and in a good area now..we would probably gets lots of people. Gonna have to go help my mom clean her house out. :D

when you all did these yard sale/candle sales did you charge sales tax on your candle sales? i know you normally don't but you have a sales tax license so wouldn't you have to other wise how do you write the sales in your business? also did you lower your prices for the sale or did you keep them at normal price & if so did people complain about it being a yard sale but not yard sale items. not trying to get nosey just know somethings people think cause of doing craft shows

cool, can't wait till sis gets her house cause i live in an apartment complex & we aren't aloud to have yard sales:( . anxious to try though, told sis i would be having 1 at least once a month during spring & summer, don't know if she said yes, but don't really care (lol):laugh2: