my soap doesnt smell anymore

friendlyMOM

Okay just tried to get fiance to test out one of my first soaps and he wont touch it because it has no scent, but when I made the 2 lb batch I added 2 oz of FO, it was cucumber melon, can I up it on the FO and if so how much? Is there too much like in candles where it will just seep out? It was a good hard bar just no smell anymore

some scent just does not seem to hold up in soap. when i wont to test a new scent i take a small amount out. you can use any thing for a small mold. and add that scent to it. that way i no if it is going to smell later and if the scent is going to cause problems like fast tracing.

some scent just does not seem to hold up in soap. when i wont to test a new scent i take a small amount out. you can use any thing for a small mold. and add that scent to it. that way i no if it is going to smell later and if the scent is going to cause problems like fast tracing.

Just wondering......how do you know when you first put the FO in a small amount of soap to test, if it is going to hold up in the soap after it goes through the saponificaiton? All of mine smell great when they first go into the soap batch, but I have had one batch that the smell completely left the soap.

it is almost 4 weeks old and the FO is completely gone, it was cucumber melon, it was a light scent to begin with butlike I said I added 2 oz of it to the mix, will try to up it once if not wont use the scent again, I have some from peaks now, not the other supplier so will try it in the mix, thanks for the help, but one question never got answered is their such a thing as too much FO? thanks for all your help

This is a reason why some package their soap to help contain the fragrance, or they'll box it up with a cotton ball sniffy of the fragrance too.

Try & wash with it, it may just be the outer layer that's lost its fragrance.

Soaping is just like candlemaking, you have to test each scent. There's just no idea how each scent may react in soap.

I soaped BNL's cuc. melon and still smells strong after 9 months, so it's probably your FO. Yes you can put too much FO in a soap, it will pool up on top. I've never had to put more than 1 oz./lb. of any FO or EO!! :cool2:

I've tried to up the amount of FO in soap before and it didn't work out too well....I added 1.5 oz (weight) ppo which was a lot of oil because it was a light weight oil (if that makes any sense to ya). the batch overheated a tad...some FO pooled on top...i let it soak back into the soap before cutting into bars and the end result was a "mottled" looking soap....similiar to mottle candles...kinda cool looking but I don't recommend it

this particular FO was one that didn't perform in candles either...so i have like 12oz of FO that I have no idea what to do with it!!!

Fragrance can be strange in soap. How long ago did you make it? Sometimes scents will fade from soap and then come back.

The worst is when it morphs and smells like dukey.

lmao, yup, that's the worst, had that more than once and it's a memory you never forget.

friendlymom, I wouldn't try to up the FO. If you can't smell anything with 1 oz pp of oils, upping it another .5 oz probably won't make the difference and it will be just wasted FO. It could also potential make the batch bomb (adding too much FO sometimes does this).

If it were me, I'd find a cuke & melon from another vendor that is tried and true in CP.

Bittercreek now sells the BNL one that ChrisR referenced and IMO, that's a good one.

There are some suppliers whose FO I won't even try. I do think a lot of it depends on the quality of the FO. Even suppliers who do have quality FO's I still check their web pages to see what they say about that particular FO and how it behaves in CP. The only FO that I've tried that went south on me was grapefruit, but that was a long time ago, before I knew any better. Now I can get it to stick anchoring it with patch.

The good thing about the FOs that won't stick in candles or CP...use it up with M&P!:D That's what I love about all this candle/soap making stuff...there's always a way to use up your stuff!