Grand opening

Connie

Well you site looks nice but I noticed you have candles if you have Salt city any where on those candles you may have a very big problem

http://www.saltcitycandle.com/index.asp

This is a major candle manufature they have been around for years and they do have a pretty good candle.

I also did a trade mark search Salt City in a form is trade marked also for B&B

I don't think it's her site Vicky.. but you're definately right about the Salt City thing.. Salt City Candles may take issue with another company who sells candles with Salt City in the name. They used to be my addiction. I wouldn't buy candles anywhere else, in fact, I didn't even know about Yankee candles forever because I only bought SSC. Now they seem really crappy to me because they soot so badly.. funny though, how I never paid much attention to that before :D

Sharon, Salt City has improved thier blend I had one given to me a few weeks ago and I was really surpised how well it burned but that also may have been a fluke.

They used to have a scent called Salt City Taffy that I have never been able to find anywhere else. Man I'd give big bucks to be able to get a dupe of that FO. My other fave of theirs was Oatmeal Raisin cookie.. Hmm.. well it's good they've improved if they did. The last one's I tried were about a year ago, and they still sooted LOL.. had to trim the wick during the burn. Ahh well.. sorry for hijacking the thread Connie.

Hey Connie.. not to beat a dead horse, but I would definately check into the legalities of her using that name.. especially if it's going on YOUR candles! If it were me, I wouldn't want anything to do with it. It's a matter of protecting yourself.. doing some damage control. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd think it would be worth looking into.

I believe this was all taken care of when she started her business. She has had that for a few years now but just now opened the shop. I live near Syracuse and alot of business here start with the "Salt City" as that is the kickname for Syracuse. The candles have a "Salt City Soap Works" label, not "Salt City Candles". Hopefully she has checked into this years ago when she started business.

• 2 months later...

Congrats Connie on the account, and Salt City on the Opening! Hope you enjoy a long & mutually beneficial relationship!

As to the Salt City name discussion - if the name is available (any name) in your state, and you file your incorporation, the name belongs to you. Regardless of whether a nationally recognized company is using it or not. It's one of the reasons nationally known companies qualify to do business in each of the 50 states, to protect the name. And they must file their annual reports & tax returns annually to ensure they keep their company in good standing so as not to have their name become void and available again to the general public.

So if I wanted to be Yankme Candle Company here in Maryland, if Yankme hadn't filed here, the name would be mine to legally use. I just couldn't use their trademarks or logos.

And from what I can see, Salt City Candles is not qualified to do business under that name in NY, or the few other states I checked for that matter. (They are registered in Utah tho, their home state) The people at Yankme are on the ball tho..qualified, active, and up to date with their tax filings too :smiley2: in each of the states I checked. So, you wanna be Salt City Candles in NY? or somewhere else.. go ahead, you've every legal right to do it. Actually, I know I'm a bit off point here... but just trying to clarify.. just because your name is close to, sounds like, or in some cases is exactly like...another companies.. doesn't mean you can't legally use it.

Hey, I know people who actually watch names like this and then re-qualify them when they expire or get revoked (say for missing a filing deadline for a tax return). Then the original company either has to get another name to use in that state, or will make a cash offer to buy the name back from you so they can use it. :D

Sorry for kinda hijacking!

Lisa