Is this wax okay to use?

Got my problem figured out from last night (see my ARGH post if you're even remotely interested). However, in the meantime, I've heatgunned the crap out of my poured jars, probably a good two to three times each, and I did a full-on melt down the sides and top. Then, I finally realized the heatgun isn't doing the trick, and I'm going to have to just remelt and pour. So, I melted all the jars in the microwave (I know, FOR SHAME! but at least I'm admitting it), poured it back into my pour pots. Now, because I'm just to darn tired to pour it again tonight, I'm going to let it cool in the pot, heat it back up (using the double boiler method this time, I promise) and THEN pour it into my new clean jars tomorrow.

Is this wax shot, and I should toss it? I know it's an elementary question, but in 8 months of candlemaking, I have NEVER had to melt and repour. :mad:

Sure, no problem with that at all.

Well, just one little problem in that FO actually evaporates. I think probably not that much, but enough that you will no longer be entirely confident about how much is in there. The suggestion to add a little more isn't out of line. You're the candlemaker, so you decide.

Another thought too....from your post last night. When I was using the glass thermometers, they weren't reading correctly and I was getting my wax too hot. That would cause issues with the tops as well as it caused the wax to have air bubbles that would keep coming to the surface and popping and messing up the top while it was trying to set up. Prolly not the issue, but just something to ponder.

Okay, thanks. Good to know. Of course that would be the dregs of my Spiced Cran that I just finished...and have no reserve of at the moment. :mad: I think I may still have just a teeny bit in the bottle, but at least it's a strong FO, right? Thanks so much for the info.

Kaybee - I think you may have just hit on something. Last night was also the first time I finally busted out the Presto. I think I had the wax heated up to 200*, and with the atmospheric heat and humidity, it just may have been way too high. I also discovered today that I had air bubbles in those jars out the wazoo, so that could certainly be the problem.

What does everyone keep their Prestos on if it's a 100% soy wax in there?

Okay, thanks. Good to know. Of course that would be the dregs of my Spiced Cran that I just finished...and have no reserve of at the moment. :mad: I think I may still have just a teeny bit in the bottle, but at least it's a strong FO, right? Thanks so much for the info.

Kaybee - I think you may have just hit on something. Last night was also the first time I finally busted out the Presto. I think I had the wax heated up to 200*, and with the atmospheric heat and humidity, it just may have been way too high. I also discovered today that I had air bubbles in those jars out the wazoo, so that could certainly be the problem.

What does everyone keep their Prestos on if it's a 100% soy wax in there?

Those dregs from the bottle should be just what you need. Have heart, it's all gonna be good. You actually do need to heat up to 190 or so to dissolve solild dye but otherwise usually nowhere near that. Follow your wax manufacturer's recommendations for pouring temperature. If your pour temp is out of whack with soy, things won't work out as planned.

Pouring temp also need to be adjusted a bit according to other factors, like environmental conditions and container size/shape. In your case it sounds like environment might be the issue. Cooling rate tends to be critical, so if it's especially hot you might want to undershoot on the pouring temp.