prob a stupid question

Ok ya'll, I know I just got into this candle making thing. But I just thought of something tonight.......Do I have to have some sort of license to sell candles?? I don't plan on doing a lot of selling, just to friends and some coworkers and maybe a few others, but I don't plan on doing any major selling! So I was just wondering about that. And also, I just realized I should probably have my name or a business/company name on the candles and I'm going to put my phone number on it. But I don't really want MY name on it and I'm having heck of a time coming up with a name....but heres what I came up with so far......I have a 6 month old son named Cameron...and what I had intended to do with the money I made from the candles.after I've paid for supplies and all that......I plan on putting half of everything I make in his savings account.....So I came up with "Cameron's Candles" I just thought it kinda sounded good together, I guess cuz they both start with "C" but I want other's peoples opinions......How did you come up with names for your candles? Alright I got to go check on my candles I just made.

I think it depends on where u live (maybe not), but I think you have to have a seller's permit. Some call it a resale certificate. As far as a name goes, everyone has so many diff. opinions. I am all for unique, and I've always loved the name Cameron...I think it is neat, because it has a purpose behind it. If that is what "sticks" with you, I'd use it. But I like it!!

Your state's Department of Revenue should have the information regarding your business needs. A lot of info could be easily available on their website. Each state has their own specific requirements. Fees can even differ in counties of the same state.

HTH some. :smiley2:

JD - if you just started to make candles are you sure you are ready to sell? Selling a few candles here and there to friends, coworkers and a few others is still selling. You need to make sure that you know what you are doing, and have done all the appropriate research and testing - and kept notes. If your candle was to be defective and cause a fire or some sort of damage, the damage would not be negated just because you only sold to friends, coworkers and a few others. Candle making takes time to learn and understand and isn't just the simple process of melting a wax and pouring it in a container with a wick. Get your testing done, get all the necessary business documents AND insurance in place before you start to sell. A business is a business regardless of how much you sell or make. If I was one of your friends, coworkers or a few others and your defective candle caused damage, my lawsuit against you wouldn't be any different than a lawsuit filed against you from a customer off the street. This is something that I think you really need to consider before you sell to anyone - not trying to be negative or rude, but reality is reality and we live in a very sue happy society. Plus, I'd hate to have your candles give a bad name to other chandlers that have taken the time to learn this craft and create a quality, safe product. It also isn't a get rich quick venture.

But no matter what, I wish you good luck. It is fun and exciting to make candles and I really can understand your excitment and enthusiam. :)