Weekend craft fair results....

I did a 1 day local craft fair, along with car show. It was so hot I thought I would die. My candles had a bad day. Thank god they were all in containers. Some kept melting to the point that I could have drank them :eek:.

yuck....

I did make booth fee, plus some. I talked to the people running the show and they said the crowd was about 1/2 of the usual at past shows. The heat killed it. I would love to have done better, but oh well.

There was one other man and woman there with candles and woodworks, but everyone else had Home Interior and Partylite. The other candle man decided to come and visit me. I thought he would never leave, he was an annoyance. He had to tell me what a high quality candle they have and what I need to be doing different. Your gonna love this.

He picked one of my candles up and looked at the bottom and said "Oh I stopped putting caution labels on mine". I said you have to have those on there for liability reasons. Oh yeah, I understand why you do it, I just don't do that anymore. Then he tells me I need to be driving where his wife does (2 hours from here) to get my wax and oils, that it is cheaper than shipping. I said I doubt that with the gas prices, well ya your right he said. :rolleyes: Then he proceeds to tell me that I need to be ordering my labels instead of making them myself, that it is cheaper to order them. He let me know that he was out of labels at this time. He then tells me he is going to let me in on a secret, but not to tell his wife he told me (at this point, I am thinking I hope I never see you people again). He told me that I need to pick a scent and light that candle and then somewhere that the customers can't see it, have an electric warmer with that same oil and it will smell up the whole area and people will love it. I had a candle lit yesterday and you could smell it. Everyone walked in and talked about how great it smelled. So evidently his candles are not that high of quality if he has to hide oil and make people think it is the candle. He also let me know that wax melts were not worth my time because you can't make anything on them.

I had been over to their booth before the show and snooped and only 2 of their candles had a label on the front with their name and then a small one on top with the scent handwritten.

He then goes on to tell me that one show they do they take no less than 30 cases. They only brought maybe 2-3 yesterday, hello...whatever. At this point it was time to start closing, so I just worked around him. I could not wait for him to leave.

I guess there is one of these at every show...huh. I thought everyone would get a laugh out of this guy. Made me feel good about my product, being as I decided he didn't have a clue about the business.

Hi,

Bless your heart! Where in Ky are you? Im in Ky too. Your day sounds like a couple days Ive had (almost identical). Maybe it the area???? lol

Except that my "well meaning know it all" :rolleyes2 said that kind of stuff in front of the few customers that I had had that day! I've known this person for years and wanted to hide under my display table but too late she saw me!

Any way, thought I would let you know I know how ya feel! The trick with the oil sounds just like something this person would have said.

I am in Russellville (Logan County) area. Where are you? There is a festival in Elizabethtown this weekend. My stepdad's brother takes care of the park, the deadline was 8-01. He is going to try and get me in. If you know anything about this one, let me know. The weather says it is going to be in the mid 80's I can handle that.

Southern Scents

Sorry, wrong side of Ky. Shoot! It would be nice to meet someone close to home. I am as far south east as you can get without going into Tn. or Va. its in Bell County.

Wished I could help you with Etown but, I dont know anything about it.

Just glad the temps are going down. This heat is driving me nuts, and then work the AC is so cold have to wear a jacket!

Good luck on the show, will be sending good thoughts to help keep the goof balls away!

I have to wonder what this guy does when his hidden melter is fill with Plumeria and someone is smelling Pumpkin Pie? Does he say,

" Hang on folks I gotta clean out my cheater warmer and pop in the righ tart to fool you sucker....?:rolleyes2

This jerk sounds like a real piece of work. A real brain trust. Don't worry though. Someone will discover his ploy and he'll be bellyup soon enough!:P

I've chatted with the salesperson at booth that sell candles labeled "Southern Scents" several times--evidently they have some company reps because I know one day I saw them at two different locations.

Anyway, they have some great looking and smelling candles, so I thought it might be you--because they were signed up for a show this past weekend that I decided not to do because of the weather (and it did turn out to be horribly hot!).

It's funny--so much of what you said paralleled this show; I talked to some people who went and they said the turnout was about half the normal and the vendors they talked with said things weren't selling (I'm sure because of the heat). But what's really funny about this is that the show was also in Russellville! But when I looked on your profile I saw you were from KY, and this was in Russellville, AL, so I'm assuming it isn't you!

OMG, that is just horrible! Girl, you have a LOT more patience than I would have had with him. I'd have told him to take his "hush, hush" info, stuff it (you know where), lick it (if he can reach it), stamp the damn thing and send it to someone who gives a shit!

Hey, I would let him ramble. I think it is good to hear info like that fella gave you. Makes you realize that your product is far superior. Personally I would never do a show if I had no labels. Too tacky! People remember that. The oil burner thing is rather sneaky! I would guess that he wouldn't get too many repeat customers when they get home and burn their candle and can't smell squat!!

I just let him talk and in the meantime was thinking..man I have a pretty nice product. Not bragging....but....I decided once he came over to my booth and saw that I had 4-5 the stock that he had brought he had to say things to make himself feel better.

I have worked with the public since I was 15 so I have learned to ignore people when they are rambling. I worked as a waitress and bartender for 3 years and man the stuff you learn about peoples lives, but this guy was so full of doo doo he smelled :laugh2:.

They actually crack me up.