Jar Store - some ?'s (seamless vs pressed & more)

The Jar store has a jar I want. It is the apoth jar with the ringed, metal black lid. Currently I get the black lid apoth from TVG (pressed jar). I just simply love the look of the lid at the Jar Store. The TVG lids are okay and I have used them for years, but I am getting kind of tired of the lids being a great fit on some, wobbly on others, and tight as all get out on others. I looked into switching my line over to the Jar Store quite a while back, but they started having issues with their lids. Well, now they have had them redone and they sound wonderful (plastic seal on the inside). However, on their site, they only have those lids for the seamless jars. I talked to Paula today and she said they will never again have them for the pressed (seamed) jars (something about the way they fit).

After talking to Paula, with the volume I buy, the jar would not only be a bit cheaper than ordering from TVG, I just like the look better. However, I am just used to the seamed jars. I double wick (use GF 415 soy) and actually use the seams to line up my wicks. So she tells me that with their jars, since they are not pressed, I would not need to double wick. Now I did a search out here on them and saw where she told someone else that she does not know much about making candles. ????? I realize the concept behind the pressed vs. blown and how you can wick down a bit on the blown glass, but I just don't see being able to go down to a single wick on 415 soy. Has anyone tested these with the same wax in the 10, 16 and 26oz sizes?

Also, out of stock issues...in my search I saw a post about someone having an issue with them being out of stock of their jars. The post was from last year (I believe) and I am hoping that has changed. I usually get four shipments of jars per year, each shipment being pretty big. An OOS issue would be a pretty big hit to my business. I asked her about that today on the phone and she said worse case scenario, I would have to wait about 30 days if there was a run on the jars I was ordering and they happened to be OOS. Again, that would not be a good thing if I was in a pinch. I usually try and plan ahead as much as possible, but you know how that goes...best laid plans.

So please give me your ideas/opinions and your good/bad/ugly experiences with them and their products.

Thanks so much!

I order big quantities through them and have had good experiences. I even go to the local warehouse where I live and pick them up and it saves me on shipping. Sometimes though I have noticed that they are out of jars fast. That would be the only downfall. I think it takes about 30 days to get new ones in. But overall i really like them.

I ordered a case each of their 16 and 24 oz Melting Pot jar, and really like the looks. I have had trouble double wicking the jars in 415 but if you use straight 402 or 464 you could possibly single wick with HTP1312 or LX 28 or 30. Another wax to try that could single wick is Greenleaf 70/30. I have one poured with 70/30, Indonesian Teak, in 16 oz jar, LX28, and doing a final wick test. If the 28 doesn't work, I'll bump up to the 30. Hope it works!

good luck! geek

Also on their out of stock: When I was ready to order they were OOS on the MP jar. They import their glassware from China, so if they run out then they have to wait as the product arrives on a slow boat from China. LOL

geek

This is exactly what I was going to tell you. They get their stuff from China and it has to go through customs...sometimes it takes longer then they anticipate...but overall it is usually only 30 days wait time. I think if you plan your orders accordingly with that in mind you should not have any trouble.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Geek, I saw the melting pot jars and thought they were beautiful but remembered some posts with the wicking trouble! As for the wax, I don't really want to change that aspect. I am curious to see what will happen with my samples as far as wicking. I am not holding out hope that I can single wick as she said. As for the 30 days, like I said, I am aware it could happen. I will just have to really plan ahead and make sure I am not down to my last few cases before ordering if I do, in fact, switch.

Fancy jars also has some great jars, but the jar store is the best and I have had some troubles with some do not order from the sawtooth candle company I ordered 500.00 dollars worth of jars and never received them and they would not return my calls or emails and they order their jars from the Jar store, as I talked to Paula and seamless is the way to go they look more professional. :)

Christy, I don't think they have the lids I like (attached), but thanks for the link, it might come in handy. Using the seams to line up my wicks is just so normal for me. I pour so slushy that I cannot see the wicks in the bottom of the jar, so I wick them lined up with the seams, then line them up with the seams after I pour. Of course I am sure I can find a way around it.

Thanks again for the responses!

post-2536-139458402867_thumb.jpg

Christy, I don't think they have the lids I like (attached), but thanks for the link, it might come in handy. Using the seams to line up my wicks is just so normal for me. I pour so slushy that I cannot see the wicks in the bottom of the jar, so I wick them lined up with the seams, then line them up with the seams after I pour. Of course I am sure I can find a way around it.

Thanks again for the responses!

Yup Filmores lids are a bit different..the plastic thingy is closed and not open like TJS...but still have the same plastic/rubber stopper. At least not like TVG's where they are pita to fit...good luck to ya

PRESSED OR SEEMLESS.... IT DONT MATTER. THE WICKING WILL BE THE SAME. IT IS THE DUMBEST THING I HEARD IN AWHILE. THE LIDS ARE NOT 100% ACCURATE ON EVERY JAR BUT TYPICALLY YOU FIND THE ONES THAT THEY WILL FIT ON. STOCK ISSUES HAVE BEEN INCREASED BOTH HERE AND IN CHINA SO TIMES HAVE BEEN CUT. I LIKE THE PRESSED ONLY CAUSE THEY ARE STURDIER WITH CUSTOMERS ABUSING THE TOPS, THE SEAMLESS CAN CRACK.:cool2: