Rustic Question

I just started doing the rustics but im a little nervous about trying layers. Can someone tell me the best way to do them so the whole candle looks good. If each layer has to be hotter to adhere to the first one, how do you keep the rustic look? I hope i explained this right,lol. Lin

Lin, I don't worry about hotter layers with rustics. You want to make sure that the first layer has not set up completely, if you jiggle the mold, the wax underneath will move around. At that point, I pour the next layer, all at 150. Make sure to splash the wax upwards on the sides of the mold before you set it back in position.

e

I do try to make each layer a little hotter, because when I would test burn the pillars, they would always bust apart when it got to the layer. Just do like E said, and make sure the previous layer hasn't completely set up. I also start my first layer around 145 degrees.

I pour all my layers at 150 and haven't had a problem yet. The only time I had one come apart between 2 layers was when I waited way too long between pours (got busy).

Sometimes I pour my last layer hot, just to get a little mottle action going and give it a different look :)

DanaE

I've had them break apart. Particularly with tlted layers. I think put a picture of this on the old board a loooooong time ago. So now I do each layer about 5 degrees hotter. With each layer, I put a little wax in first and then tilt and swirl it. Then let the crust set up for a few seconds on the sides before pouring the rest of the wax for that layer in. Yes the first layer will probably be a little crustier than the next, but it will work out ok as long as its not too hot. Also, the wax from the tilt and swirl you do will help to hold the next layer.