464 or 444??

I've been testing several different soys and I'm really wanting to use straight soy without having to add BW or pariffin. I'm really liking GB 464 and getting some great results with very little effort. I just recently noticed some post on GB 444 and noticed a supplier stated on their website the 444 has a higher melting point which would be great during the summer. Has anyone compared the 444 hot throw to the 464? I would love to hear your opinions. ;)

I am testing the 464 and think the throws of this wax are better than the 444.

I have not had a problem with seeping, but it has not been that hot in my area..

I have been wondering too if anyone is having any problems with the heat and 464????:wink2:

When we were testing the 444, one thing that stood out for most of us was lack of a decent cold throw. The 464 is a very easy wax to work with, but is a soft wax. I guess we won't know how it holds up till it gets really hot.

I wonder if anyone has played around with mixing 464 and 444?

geek

When testing the 444 and 464, I found the same results as most. The 444's hot throw was not as good as the 464. As far as the 464, the cold and hot throw was good, but I had quite a bit of seeping, and the weather here was no hotter than the low 70s. I also noticed, once the candle had burned down and had about 2 burns left (4 - 5 hour burns) the scent throw smelled somewhat waxy; like the fragrance had burned off some. The crocks I used were wicked correctly, so I am thinking it may have been due to the softness (meltpoint) of the wax itself becoming to hot once it burned closer to the bottom of the crock. Hope this helps you some in making an informative decision. :smiley2:

I also noticed, once the candle had burned down and had about 2 burns left (4 - 5 hour burns) the scent throw smelled somewhat waxy; like the fragrance had burned off some. The crocks I used were wicked correctly, so I am thinking it may have been due to the softness (meltpoint) of the wax itself becoming to hot once it burned closer to the bottom of the crock. Hope this helps you some in making an informative decision. :smiley2:

I have also found this to be the case with the 464...the hot throw can be good for the first few burns but then diminishes/smells waxy or burnt with subsequent burns. I have tried wicking down but then don't get a decent melt pool. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has noticed this...

Hi Everyone!!! Personally I have been testing 464 since we did the testing for GB. I dont get that waxy, burnt smell on the last burns and it keeps its scent all the way down. I use the wide mouth Kerr canning 16oz and I wicked it with a HTP 105 with 1.5 of Rose bouquet and I burned all the way down with no problems. Oh and I also added 2% of frostop but that shouldnt make any difference in the throw,,I get a good hot/cold throw with this. Like we say though,,what works for one may not work for another. Now to me I like the 444 and it has great hot/cold throw,,I just didnt like pouring at low temps and for me it had to many air bubbles. Now the 449 is also a good wax. It is just how it works for you, a personal preference,,;)

Breanna, you can wick a wide mouth with a 104? Is this just with the 444 and 449? With my 100% soy/bw, I have never been able to wick it with anything smaller than the 1212 no matter what scents I use. I can use other wick brands too but with the HTPs, 1212 is the smallest I can go.

Breanna, you can wick a wide mouth with a 104? Is this just with the 444 and 449? With my 100% soy/bw, I have never been able to wick it with anything smaller than the 1212 no matter what scents I use. I can use other wick brands too but with the HTPs, 1212 is the smallest I can go.

Merideth, Im sorry I had to look back at my notes,,,No a HTP with the 104 didnt work for me,,In the testing of 464 with rose bouguet I used a HTP 1312 and it burned great with no mushrooming or soot but it was burning faster then I liked SO I decided to try it again the same way same FO and Jar,,I used a HTP 105 and it worked great,,no hang up, no mushrooming or soot and it has a slower burn and throws GREAT!!

I meant to say 105 and my question was did you only have success with the 105 and the 464? Or have you tried to wick the widemouth in any othe wax with the 105? Also did you try the 105 in the 449? I can't use this wick in my widemouths and can only use at least a 1212 in a soy/bw combo that is why I am wondering. thanks!

I have been using the 464 too. I don't get any seepage or burnt smell. I know I have problems with 700 series wicks if I wick too high. I don't have to wick as high as with regular soy wax I am noticing. With adding beeswax I had to wick higher and it burned way hotter to fast. So far I notice the 464 burns slower. I would pull back on the FO load and wick down from your typical soy.