Bakery Type FO Sediment

Henryk

I don't usually use food-type FOs, but had an odd experience that I don't know if its do to the wax or the FO types. I'm using soy actually, but only noticed this with bakery-type FOs. I've only tried three different ones, but from two different vendors.

After the candle burns a bit, in the melt pool, I see what can be described as a sediment. It looks like sand, but finer. It doesn't seem to effect the burn. AFter it hardens over, if you pick a bit of the wax out, it looks like dirt/sand in the wax. Its more of color than a substance KWIM? Its not dye, becuase I see this even in my uncolored containers.

Anyone know what this is - is this normal - or is it some sort of FO/wax interaction? I haven't tried different waxes yet to test this.

TIA

most likely it is that your FO isn't completely mixed in. some scents, bakery in particular in my experience, take a little bit more work to get them to mix in completely. heating the FO (in it's bottle) in some hot water could also help if that's the case.

Considering you're using soy wax, you might want to post your question in that section to get the attn of those who use soy. One thing I've READ is that there are some soy based FOs, but beyond that, I know nothing, but maybe those would mix in better?

I remember getting something like what you describe and it happened to be a light colored french vanilla candle. Doubtless many of the bakery scents include the dreaded vanilla, so maybe that's causing the problem.

So yes, I'd agree on the possibility of an FO mixing problem. However, I don't agree that it's necessary to add Vybar if you don't otherwise want it in the candle. The candle mentioned above had Vybar, but the problem with it is that I didn't mix enough. You just have to mix and mix, much more than you would normally think necessary. It will dissolve in its own good time.

Additionally, I'd recommend never doing the dye before the FO when using a scent with vanilla. You need to clearly see that the mixture is absolutely homogeneous before coloring it.

HTH.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I posted here because I figured maybe it was a FO issue irregardless of wax. I didn't mention that I had this same problem in 6006 (soy/paraffin blend). I'd rather not say the vendor, but one of the FOs is a sugar cookie. I'm going to try a different vendors and see what happens, also, making sure I'm mixing well enough.

Thanks again.

sugar cookie will do this too. vanillas are killer, yeah, but i really do notice it alot with bakery scents.

i use a whisk to stir, which seems to help. and as mentioned above, i make sure to always add the dye after i know the FO is mixed in well.