Can some explain this to me ?

They will look like a standard pillar how the top is concave in toward the wick. Is that the way all molds are? I am looking at buying some and this is what she said about them. Does a pillar burn just in the middle or is it suppose to melt all the way down.

Thanks

There are concave molds and there are flat molds. Just depends on what you want.

The burn depends on how you wick it. I like my pillar to consume itself, so there is no wasted wax. I know some people who like it to tunnel more so that you get a "glow" through the wax. All depends on your preferences!

There are concave molds and there are flat molds. Just depends on what you want.

The burn depends on how you wick it. I like my pillar to consume itself, so there is no wasted wax. I know some people who like it to tunnel more so that you get a "glow" through the wax. All depends on your preferences!

What size wick would you put in a pillar for total consumption,,,I use 24 ply flat braid with a 3x6.5 round mold,,,I would like for mine NOT to tunnel. thanks

What size wick would you put in a pillar for total consumption,,,I use 24 ply flat braid with a 3x6.5 round mold,,,I would like for mine NOT to tunnel. thanks
Dear Breanna,

24 ply flat braid is somewhere in the ballpark for a 3 inch pillar. You can't know exactly until you test. Variations in wax, additives and FO could cause you to have to wick up or down to get the burn you want. You might also adjust the wicking a bit according to the particular burn time you would like to optimize for (3 hours at a time, 4 hours, etc.). Burn a test candle for the length of time you have in mind, extinguish and allow to cool, repeat until consumed. Decide on the wicking according to your results.

You might want to record the weight of the candle at the beginning and after each burn. This will provide data on the rate of wax consumption and help estimate burn times. You'll be able to extrapolate that to pillars of different heights as well.

HTH.