Trying to figure out how much?

Add up how much the wax costs you, including shipping. Then divide to get a figure per pound (like wax costs you $1.00 per pound). How many ounces of wax do you pour into a JJ? If you pour 8 ounces, then your cost is .50 per JJ for wax. If less than 8 ounces, do some math, lol. My brain is tired this morning, but you get the idea.

Thank You crowded, I never thought to watch how much I was doing and I didnt have my figures right on how much I was spended( very bad at math:o so Im trying to figure it out again and I think I was off by about .50:shocked2: and that makes a HUGE difference in what I charge for my candles. Thanks again:cheesy2:

To calc. for different fill levels... (all units will be in wt., not vol.)

Take the total wax + fo of finished candle. (Don't include container.)

Ex: 6.7 oz.

Multiply that weight by the fo%. (Fo% is in decimal form.)

Ex: 6.7 * 0.0625 = 0.4 oz. (wt. of fo)

Then, take total weight (again) and subtract the fo oz. per candle.

Ex: 6.7 - 0.4 = 6.3 oz. (wax wt. per candle)

Since 16 oz are in 1 lb... 60 * 16 = 960 oz.

Approx. # candles with 60 lbs...

Ex: 960/6.3 = ~152

I think my scale must be off. This is the second thread I've seen the 6.7 oz weight figure for an 8 oz. candle, but when I weigh for one 8 oz candle (filled to 1/4" from the top) I only need 5.5 oz of wax by weight.

Anybody know a simple way to check the accuracy of a small (kitchen) scale?

I just used 6.7 oz b/c it was in a similar thread with the 8 oz. jj. In my last 8 oz. container (not a jj), I think I used 6.5 oz of wax. That didn't include tha' fo. This fig. was for demo purposes only.

First thought that popped into my head for your scale... take it to the post office. Weigh same object on each scale. Someone here may drop in with a better idea. :yes:

I just used 6.7 oz b/c it was in a similar thread with the 8 oz. jj. In my last 8 oz. container (not a jj), I think I used 6.5 oz of wax. That didn't include tha' fo. This fig. was for demo purposes only.

First thought that popped into my head for your scale... take it to the post office. Weigh same object on each scale. Someone here may drop in with a better idea. :yes:

Oh, gotcha. You had me paranoid there for a second! :shocked2:

Good idea about the postal scale. There's an automated system in the lobby of our local PO that I can use at my leisure (and I think I will ;))

Thanks!

ETA:

BTW, what kind of wax?

415 soy flake.

Just asked about the wax because soy waxes tend to be more dense than paraffins. Maybe if you were weighing some paraffin, but this isn't the case.

Now the disclaimer: I haven't researched all of the popular waxes of both, so this isn't an absolute! There's probably an anomaly lurking out there.

My scale enjoys a regular check-up. :smiley2:

The wax is 100% soy wax:cool2:
To further elaborate a bit... soy wax tends to be closer to a 1:1 density ratio with water than paraffin. Paraffin has more volume than soy for the same given unit of weight. So if I took one pound of both types of waxes, and poured them into the same type of jar, the paraffin will fill more jar space than the soy.

With wax volume entering the picture, Crowded may have only needed the 5.5 oz of wax to get a reasonable fill. Esp. if Crowded decided to whip the wax :wink2: . Not that I think Crowded does that, but it would increase the fill volume of the jar. I hope this didn't further confuse the situation!

• 1 month later...