Gemlite fo's

Hi all,

Have any of you tried fo's from a company called GEMLITE? or BULKOILS?

I can get some of their oils here in UK & would love to know you're opinions. I'll be using them in Ecosoya PB & CB soon.

Sally.

I purchased ab $200 worth of FO from them thinking I had bought some before. They do have good prices, but most of their FOs stink! I have only found a few I like, but on the whole they are disappointing. If you really want to try them, be sure and get sample sizes first. It is so tempting to buy alot without testing them first, because their pricing is very attractive.

Good luck! geek :cool2:

I purchased ab $200 worth of FO from them thinking I had bought some before. They do have good prices, but most of their FOs stink! I have only found a few I like, but on the whole they are disappointing. If you really want to try them, be sure and get sample sizes first. It is so tempting to buy alot without testing them first, because their pricing is very attractive.

Good luck! geek :cool2:

Thanks geek,

I've only got samples coming just now, from someone here. It's really hard finding good quality fo's in UK without having to import them, which isn't an option for me at the moment.

I'll let you know how I get on ,tho' it's hard to know what's good & whats great.. especially if you haven't much experience with fo's. Knowing what's plain crap is easy!

All my paraffin candles have been unscented but very pretty...well that's what I think anyway :cheesy2: so it's all a steep learning curve...smelly but fun!

Btw have you come across BULKOILS too?

Sally.

Sally here's a supplier in Scotland..........she posts over at the Whisk board and I know the girls overseas lover her FO's. Bulkoils are awful also, big waste of money!!

http://www.gracefruit.com/Scripts/default.asp

OMG,

I'm becoming a fragrance junkie already :rolleyes2 .

Have just looked at the site & swooned over almost all the fragrances listed.:drool:

& they're only about 60 miles away so postage is ok.

I will definately be trying some of these & will let you know how I get on.

Thank you Chris....probably be cursing you when I'm bankrupt ;)

Sally.

Glad to see they are VERY close to you Sally.....I should be so lucky!! There are a couple I'd LOVE to try, but she doesn't ship here to the states! :cry2: She also has powdered sheep's milk, which I would love to find a supplier for. Hey you wouldn't want to get some for me and ship it here to NY would ya!!! ;)

Glad to see they are VERY close to you Sally.....I should be so lucky!! There are a couple I'd LOVE to try, but she doesn't ship here to the states! :cry2: She also has powdered sheep's milk, which I would love to find a supplier for. Hey you wouldn't want to get some for me and ship it here to NY would ya!!! ;)

I can certainly look into that for you Chris, the sample offer is very reasonably priced, I think, & there's a sale on just now.

I need to do a bit more financial tweaking to see what I can(t) afford & then get some anyway.:rolleyes2

I'll see what I can find out about sending things over to US, I've read a few posts on here about airline restrictions...I know nothing about this so be patient with me!

Maybe someone UK based could bring the things you want over & then post them on from US....or is that a daft idea?

Hi Sally,

Firstly, Gemlite are cheap for a reason, I made the mistake too and learned very quickly. Their oils are OK in paraffin, but a complete no-no in soy.

With regard to Grace's Oils, I agree she has a fabulous selection but the cost is astronomical - I mean serrrrrrrrrrrriously. For a good quality oil, at a very good price, from a supplier who tests in soy you're much better off going to somewhere like "just scent" or Bittercreek or several other suppliers in the USA who ship internationally. Yes it will be shipping overseas, but even with shipping costs added, you can get an oil at a fraction of the cost of Graces.

For example 1lb of oil (16oz) is $8 dollars shipping to the UK. if you paid, on average $15 dollars a bottle, that's around £8 per bottle with £5 shipping - giving a total of £13 per bottle delivered to your door.

For the same amount of oil from Graces, it costs £27 plus £3 shipping. That's £30 for a 16oz bottle of oil ($60 us dollars).

Of course I am not trying to be hard on Grace, I am in the UK also and wish I could afford those prices. But as you know, soy wax in this country is very very expensive, and with expensive oils, a simple 16oz tin candle will COST you around £5 to make EACH ($10) when you factor in the oil, wax, tin, wick and dye. That would leave you with a minus £££ amount - you couldn't even recoup your costs, let alone make any money for your time and effort!

I have several places I buy my oils from, you know my email address - just give me a buzz if you're looking for something and I'll tell you where I got mine.

Natasha

Hi Sally,

Firstly, Gemlite are cheap for a reason, I made the mistake too and learned very quickly. Their oils are OK in paraffin, but a complete no-no in soy.

With regard to Grace's Oils, I agree she has a fabulous selection but the cost is astronomical - I mean serrrrrrrrrrrriously. For a good quality oil, at a very good price, from a supplier who tests in soy you're much better off going to somewhere like "just scent" or Bittercreek or several other suppliers in the USA who ship internationally. Yes it will be shipping overseas, but even with shipping costs added, you can get an oil at a fraction of the cost of Graces.

For example 1lb of oil (16oz) is $8 dollars shipping to the UK. if you paid, on average $15 dollars a bottle, that's around £8 per bottle with £5 shipping - giving a total of £13 per bottle delivered to your door.

For the same amount of oil from Graces, it costs £27 plus £3 shipping. That's £30 for a 16oz bottle of oil ($60 us dollars).

Of course I am not trying to be hard on Grace, I am in the UK also and wish I could afford those prices. But as you know, soy wax in this country is very very expensive, and with expensive oils, a simple 16oz tin candle will COST you around £5 to make EACH ($10) when you factor in the oil, wax, tin, wick and dye. That would leave you with a minus £££ amount - you couldn't even recoup your costs, let alone make any money for your time and effort!

I have several places I buy my oils from, you know my email address - just give me a buzz if you're looking for something and I'll tell you where I got mine.

Natasha

Thanks Nat,

I'll check out some other suppliers & see what I think.

Gracefruits oils sound delicious & a little out of the ordinary which really appeals to me, but keeping costs down is definately a major factor. I will be in touch for more of your valuable help soon, no doubt ;)

The fo's I've been using seem to be working alright in the Full Moons soy I've used so far & it turns out most of them are Gemlites, however as I'm new to soy & the fo's I don't have much to compare them too.

I haven't dived in & bought lbs of any oils tho so its not all bad news.

I'd rather not have to import almost everything I need but if thats the way it has to be then so be it.

Sally.

i was the same Sally, I wanted to use UK products to support our industry, but after fruitless searching I realised that in the UK, our suppliers have just not caught up with the US yet. Most of the suppliers I have found import their items from the US and then add their own mark up. If you're looking for unusual fragrances or things that are a little out of the ordinary, then you cannot go wrong with Save On Scents. They have a truly awesome range of oils which can be purchased in different grades (B&B, candles, extreme concentrates) etc. If I get any joy from the manufacturer of oils in the UK (not the one we discussed) I'll get back to you - they have a minimum purchase requirements so perhaps we can share on the oils that we both want.

nat

Awesome isn't quite the word.... I could spend ££££££££££££££ just on samples & I only got half way through the G's.

Deciding what to try is going to be sooo hard.

Hope this thing with a UK supplier comes good, will they send samples?

Sally

I've already got samples, they sent me tea-lights in the fragrances I wanted and also small bottles of oil. When I have time I will make some sample candles and test them. If they work out OK then they have a minimum qty of 5kg per oil, but the lady I have been speaking to is going to try and sort it for me that I only have to get 1kg for my first few orders, and then move over to the larger sizes after I have used their oils for a while. 1kg is only 2 and a bit 16oz bottles - I can easily go through a whole bottle of oil with just a few candles as I use 1.5oz per pound - that's only 8 or 9 candles worth. They are an american company too, one of the largest manufacturers so their oils are good quality.

Nat

OOOOO sounds good, hope the oils work out well. Were the tea lights soy?

Shame they want to sell in such high quantities, I'd have thought it worth their effort to sell in smaller amounts too, still it's all about profits so maybe it's not cost effective. I'm interested in joining forces with you if they're good but it won't be for some time yet. I need to get a customer base built round my soy products first. Can't do anything much til the funds pick up.:(

Sally.