? Bath Salt

ED1

Hi all, i have been out here reading a lot of interesting information and one thing i would like to try is making bath salt. My question is, can you just use regular epsom salt with a little color and fragrance oil? I am not sure if certain salts can be found locally at a grocery stores , wal-mart, sam's ect.

:undecided

Thanks for your reply in advance..........

yes you can..stick some epsom in a zip lock add some color shake the crap out of it.. you can add baking soda..FO.. even some cosmetic glitter.

Epsom salts are pretty good for you..i read somewhere bathing at least 3x a week in epsom salts will give you engery and create a sense of well being..HMM...maybe I should do that! lol;)

Bath salts are probably the easiest bath & body item to make.

I use what carolgrant said with the rock salt used for water softner. (just make sure they aren't the big pellets, but more like the little chunks) I mix that with epsom salt and fo and colorant. Makes for a very soothing scented bath. :)

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate you sharing this informatio with me. I do have some epsom salt at home and wanted try this out. I will stop by my local Home Depot and check for the solar salt as well. Gosh it is so good to know that some of these ingredients can be found locally.

:yay: Again thanks to each of you who took a moment to share this information with me.

Have a blessed one.........

Hi,

I have been making bath salts for quite a few years and the biggest problem I am having is that the scent doesn't last very long only about 2 months. I am wondering is there an ingredient that I could add to make it last longer. The color is fine, but the scent goes away. I guess it smells like salt. Should I add to the label the bath salts should be used within the month or something..

Surely there is some "fixative" chemical that can be added. Let me ask my fragrance chemist friends.

And Karen the chemist says...

Hey Carol. Here's the scoop...

Fragrance materials, by design, are volatile (that's why we smell them). Once we smell them, they have escaped from the matrix. Gone forever. The heavier the scent, the heavier (literally) the molecular weight of the fragrance materials (since fragrance is a mixture, the individual raw materials will have their own vapor pressure (a physics 'property' that will help you estimate how fast a pure material will evaporate).

Basically, you just want to slow down the RATE of evaporation.

Probably adding a surfactant (or solubilizer) would do the trick just fine. You will have to be sure the material you use is OK to use in personal care products.

People use the Dowanol Glycol Etherd (DPM and TPM) to play with the evaporation rate in air fresheners, but I don't know about using it in personal care. Call or check the Dow website (they are located in Midland, Michigan).

Also, a good surfactant is Surfactol 365 from Caschem (Bayonne, NJ). Product code is 73022. I don't know for sure if it's approved for your application, but worth asking..

:-)

Karen

I have really been thinking about adding these to my store because I think the display alone would attract attention!!

Do any of you use oils with your bath salts too? THe one time I made bath salts (lonnnnng time ago), the oils went rancid and it was so gross it threw me off of salts for a long time.

Now all this talk and I want to make them again LOL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is what it says on the WSP website for Dendritic Salt...

Dendritic Salt is a very fine grain salt with a greater surface area than most salts on the market. This greater surface area allows the salt to absorb twice the amount of oil. It has less clumping, greater fragrance retention and dissolves quickly in water.

Suggested Use Level:

• Bath Salts: 80-90%

• Scrubs: 10-25%

That's all I had time to look for...need to put the baby down for a nap. HTH!

Hugs,

Rachel