Eco Soy Advanced

Hi, I'm new here to this forum. Looks like lots of fun here. I'm using Eco Soy Advanced and wonder what wicks to try. I have always used CD wicks and have read that paper core or LX or the best. Any suggestions please? I do 16 and 32 oz mason jars. Another question - I have heard that if you add Palm Stearic you can make candle tarts and use container wax. The Stearic will harden - save money and use one type of wax. Has anyone tried that? One more question - how do you measure amt of wax for a 16 and 32 oz candle? What is the formula? I always measure a pound and wind up wasting wax. I then pour it into cans and reuse for tarts but now I have a mess of cans here. I would like to get the exact amt. Someone told me that 14.5 wax and 1.5 FO = 16 oz jar. I tried that and still had wax left over. Thanks for the help. Johann

Hi and welcome. I fairly new to this forum too. Lots of info to go through, and lots of knowledgable people. I use the same wax and don't use anything else to make tarts. I used to use the stearic, but I didn't see much of a difference to keep using it. I also do the clamshells, so its really easy to do. As for getting the exact amount of wax, try using the calculator on the left under general information. It helped me alot! I used to have the same problem. LOL Hope that helps!

Deronda

welcome Garey :wave:,

I too am a CBA user. I am currently trying LX wicks- thinking of changing to them 'cause I like the way they self trim. I have always used RRD's. Try what you have and see if it works for you ;).

As far as measuring....my method is probably way wrong, but it works for me-- I fill the jar I am going to use w/water, then dump it into a measuring cup. That is how much melted wax I need. As far as any "left overs"- I use empty plastic containers w/lids ( cottage cheese, margarine, yogurt. etc) I write on the top so I know what combination I have used it for. I re-use the same containers over and over again.

I don't make any large sizes like you, 'cause people around here seem to only go for the small stuff.

Hi Johann,

There's nothing firmly established about the best wick to use with CBA. I've used CD and ECO but everyone has their preference.

Regarding how to figure out the fill weight of the jar, take a look at this page. http://www.ngiwax.com/ProductInformation/Specifications.php If you scroll down to CBA you can see the "specific gravity" is 0.888. This is the weight of the wax compared to water. There's no need to be that exact but I just wanted to show you. We'll round it up to 0.9, which I think should work OK with any soy wax.

So to figure out the weights for the candle, you can weigh the container empty and filled with water. Take the difference to get the weight of the water. Let's say you get 10 ounces.

We could then estimate the weight of candle material to be .9 x 10 = 9 ounces. If you are using 6% FO, it would come out as follows:

6% FO = .06 x 9 = 0.54 oz FO

94% wax = .94 x 9 = 8.46 oz wax

That should get you pretty close to your original fill line.