Newbie with soy candle making question

Hello everyone, my name is Tom and my wife (Christine) and I are getting into candlemaking as a hobby and as a small home business while we're in college. We have been ordering our supplies and I saw all of the good reveiws about Peak candles and thecandlesource.com so we ordered Ecosoya container wax from Peak and fragrences from thecandlesource. I am now down to deciding on wicks and I was wondering what kind of luck people had had with Peak's Pre-Tabbed HTP Coreless Wicks? Also, how have you all found to be the best way to get the tab stuck to the jar?

Thanks for your help and i look forward to getting to know you all.

The htp wicks are great wicks, I secure my wicks with GE Kitchen & Bath Silicone II 100% Silicone Sealant Clear,( let is dry overnight) some use hot glue guns and wick stick ems, but the silicone is the best and will not come loose as some of the others will while pouring.

how funny is this? I have been debating between the three methods and am trying to narrow them down LOL. Is this another one of those personal preference things that I should try out each method?

I cannot thank you all enough for your quick replies to my need for help!

Welcome! You actually can find lots of good info on the Vegetable wax forum, this is primarily paraffin area.

The HTP wicks IMO are good wicks for soy, they burn hotter than some. LX, ECO and CD wicks work well in soy also. It depends on your particular combination of wax/FO/jar what you use. I would get sampler packs of the HTP, LX, RRD, and cotton core wicks from Peaks as a start.

Good luck, use the search feature in the Veggie wax forum, and have fun!

geek :cool2:

Is this another one of those personal preference things that I should try out each method?
Yeah, pretty much.

All those methods work, so you could just go with your instincts if you want and switch later if you don't like it. Silicone is incontrovertibly the most secure thing, since you can't really remove it even if you want to (can be a two edged sword as they say). But it does require more cure time than the others before you can fill the container. Stickums are very convenient and you're good to go immediately. For some people they never come loose in production, but they can occasionally. I've never tried the hot melt adhesive.

Have fun and don't burn the freakin dorm down. Test and test before you sell anything. Concentrate on perfecting one candle and a limited number of scents if you're in a hurry.

I use HTP wicks...they are my wick of choice. I also use hot glue to secure my wicks to the jars. I want people to be able to recycle their jars and with have found with the silicone there is no getting it off the jar.

Welcome to the board. This is a great hobby, but it can be so overwhelming. I think you will probably have to play around with a lot of things before you find what you really like, but it sounds like you are off to a great start. Good Luck!