peddler and trader license?

I met with an accountant today for the first time! She was very helpful not to mention she used to make candles for 20 years! yeah, id say I hit the jackpot.

we got into talking about what is needed for doing craft shows and she metioned something like a peddler or trader license that craft shows ask for when you sign up. She also metioned that you will need to get a sales tax license in every state that you will be selling in and report and pay these taxes every quarter.

This is the first I ever heard this information and kinda gives me a headache just thinking about it.

do any of you have sales tax licenses in other states that you sell in?

and whats the difference between peddler and trader license and where do I get one?

She mentioned that some states will give you a sales tax license for two days while you do the craft show. I guess so you dont have to report every quarter to every state???

if there is a website that explains all this i would love to visit it. not just a regular gov site but a site that talks about these licenses and pedder stuff.

wow this was long sorrry

You have to pay state taxes for EVERY state you sell in? Nope, don't think that's right at all. If you're doing internet sales & sell to me in Wisconsin...you don't pay taxes, nor do I.

If I live in PA & buy something from you, you collect taxes & send that in.

bella,

Think every show> State & local license in place, collect & pay sales tax.

Ask the promoter when you apply for the show if you need a local trade, peddler or transient license to sell & where to get it. Not every area requires a local license for craft shows. Display your state sales tax license & or any other local license at shows just in case the tax dude/ette shows up to cite.

If you're planning on doing out of state shows you play by their rules - whatever licenses they require just like home. Gotta pay tax there just like home too.

btw I used to think this was really intimidating but it gets easier once you see it in action. Break it down to a managable level it's not so bad :)

So your saying that I should just wait and see what craft shows i apply for and see if they require me to charge sales tax. and if they do then i can go and get a peddler thingy to do it?

and then lets say i do have to charge tax in another state, i will then have to report it at the end of that quarter and send it in when i file the taxes right???

ahhh...different rules for different states. I live in KY. If I do shows in IN I have to register the biz in IN and do the quarterly tax thing - even if I only do one show a year. In OH I can get a transient vendor license, but I have to collect a remit state and county (where applicable) taxes.

And I don't know about PA, but after 2 quarters of my pitiful remittence to the state they put me on yearly tax payments. Piece of cake.

Just pick a show you might be interested in, talk to the promoter, then talk to the county clerk in that area. Get your facts for your states, then you can make an informed decision of whether you want to go for that show or not.

So your saying that I should just wait and see what craft shows i apply for and see if they require me to charge sales tax. and if they do then i can go and get a peddler thingy to do it?

and then lets say i do have to charge tax in another state, i will then have to report it at the end of that quarter and send it in when i file the taxes right???

Right--you got it! If you collect sales tax while doing a show in another state, you will have to submit that state's tax form (plus the money you collected) at whatever time period they require it to be filed (like at the next quarter, or at year end). Most states have their peddlar license registration and tax forms online. They're pretty easy to deal with. :)

no. You have to charge & pay sales tax. The promoter has nothing to do with taxes. Candles are a taxable item. You charge tax & pay it every quarter.

If you're doing a show in another state you'll have to apply for a license(s) there, charge & pay tax accordingly ie see mags advice above. :)

no. You have to charge & pay sales tax. Candles are a taxable item. You charge tax, collect it & pay it every quarter.

The promoter has nothing to do with taxes. The only role the promoter has is to advise if you need a separate license to sell at their show.

If you're doing a show in another state you'll have to apply for a license(s) there, charge & pay tax accordingly.

True, *if* that state taxes retail items. Some don't. Which is why you can either check with the state in question ahead of time, or consult the promoter about the state's requirements.

For something like online sales..you do not have to file for sales tax in every state...that is where the use tax comes in. On the other hand for going to other states to do craft shows I would contact the state in questions treasury department and they will let you know what proper forms you need or you can check that states treasury website.

True, *if* that state taxes retail items. Some don't. Which is why you can either check with the state in question ahead of time, or consult the promoter about the state's requirements.

mags, my curiousity is picqued.

Tell me of this magical place that doesn't tax. :yay::yay:

I can move in a week LOL

I'm in Alabama and do one show every year in Mississippi. I don't know how they set it up with the state and county, but the organizer of the show comes by at the end of the show with a form for each vendor to fill out with the total sales. You can remit the tax to her "on the spot" and she then files it for the entire show. That makes it much simpler and you don't have to get a license, evidently the state is content with getting your tax money and don't require a license for one show.

HTH,

Jane

Jane, that sounds like a win-win-win situation. The show participants don't have to hassle with licensing from the state, the state gets their sales tax $$, and the promoter gets the sales info from their vendors (for number crunching & statistics). :highfive:

I'm with rascal418-- the time spent on getting everything collected, recorded, and sent to the respective gov't entities is a PITA. But then again, the sales are nice, and out-of-state shows means a welcome change of scenery/ mini vacation. ;)

Rascal418: I'd be outta here too, if only I could talk DH into it. I *love* the Portland OR area!!

The one reason I don't expand to northern California shows - don't want to deal with the tax paperwork! I'm spoiled by a no sales tax state...

I'm in norcal and between the tax paperwork and insurance nonavailibility I don't know which is worse.

Sami