Mottled Layer + Question...

Jaye

Hi All! I'm hoping one of you experts can help me. I made this three layer mottle last night and was pretty happy with the results for a first attempt, but there appears to be tiny, pin-prick size air bubbles on the top and bottom of the middle (gold) layer. They may not be too noticeable in the pic, but I would love to know what caused them. Are air bubbles caused by pouring too fast? :confused: I did tap the mold after pouring with each color...

TIA! :smiley2:

[ATTACH]6586[/ATTACH]

post-2345-139458401906_thumb.jpg

cold mold , try heating with heat gun before pouring next time

I dont ever heat my mold with multiple layers because im afraid of melting the layer that has already set. That can cause the layers to bleed together. And if you wait for the layer to set again, the mold has already cooled off. Am I right??

And the airholes can be caused by pouring too fast as well as too hot or even too cool. One thing you can try is to pour the layer and if it forms a slight film, which you can see looking into the mold, then hit that area with a heat gun only long enough to melt that film.

Thanks for all the advice guys. This was my first (and so far only) mottled layer, but I plan on attempting another tonight. I don't have a heat gun, but I'll try pouring a little cooler and a little slower. Thanks again! :cheesy2: