Looking for lather (in all the wrong places)

candlebean

I just started with MP soap and my testers love it, but want more lather. I read that coconut oil makes lather in soap, but can you add it to an MP base? I am currently playing with Crystal Clear, Goat Milk, and Ultra White MP bases from WSP. I just didn't want to waste my money on getting coconut oil if there is no chance that it will work...

TIA

Coconut oil does make great lather, but only if it's saponified. "Saponified" means "changed from fat into soap" roughly speaking. This is the process whereby CP and HP soap is made.

So I seriously doubt it would give your M&P base better lather; it would just be giving it more oil. If anything, I suspect more oil might actually decrease the lathering ability of the M&P.

HTH

Edited to clarify

I have tried different clear M&P from many different suppliers and they all lather great but my problem is they all are so very drying.

Have you found yours drying too?

This is how I test for drying...

I wash my hands with the un-scented base, check for lather, rinse then dry. Then I rub my hands together when dry and they won't rub because of the drying soap. I compair this to liquid soap which does not do this.

I want to start offering M&P soap but can't find a non drying one.

PrairieAnnie might be able to advise, she adds gobs of things to her

M&P.

I tried M&P a few times (just out of curiosity) and tried adding extra

ingredients to improve the lather and feel of it, I couldn't get it

to work for me so I decided to stick with CP.

I haven't noticed any problems with dryness, but then again I wasn't really looking for it. I have 3 different kinds in my guest bathroom so I'll have to check that out tonight. My hands do feel softer the past week or so, but I have no idea if that's because of the soap....I thought just adding coconut oil sounded too easy. Maybe I will venture into HP sometime, but I wanted to get this down pat first.

Yup, castor oil works well. I still haven't added coconut oil to MP, but I think maybe Spellkast did it once, and got it to work after having some trouble getting it to incorporate.. not sure how the moisturizing was in the finished product. Try adding 1 or 2 TBS pp of caster to your recipe, and a pinch of sugar ;) See if that helps! The sugar may be just my little superstitious good luck charm, but whatever!! PM if you need more ideas lol. HTH

I use the SFIC soap and I think it has fantastic lather. I use a scrubby in the shower and the lather is like thick shaving cream falling off my scrubby.

That's interesting about the castor oil, I'm going to have to try that just to see if it works! I would have thought that any type of oil added to melt and pour would inhibit lather??