Im back in the game!

Hi Guys, I hope everyone is well! Ive been away for a couple months, just started pouring again yesterday. My camera batteries died, so when I replace them later, I'll post pics of what I did. I got away from candle making because I became too frustrated. They usually would turn out nice looking but would not burn for crap. No matter what size wick I used ( I would follow mold size recommendations) and it seems they never burned right. I would always end up with an inch and a half shell after the candle burned down about halfway. Again, I'll post a pic of one later so you can see what I mean. Anyway, I got on the board and saw pics of all the beautiful work you guys are doing and it motivated me to give it another try. Whats funny is, I havnt made a candle in 2 months or more...and I just placed a 150.00 order with Peak. I was so excited to get my order that I came very close to getting next day air delivery...but it was almost 100.00, so I declined. Im excited about posting pics again and getting everyones input. If anyone can give me advice on wicks and maybe tell me why they think im not getting the meltpool that I should be, I would appreciate it. Also, Im wondering about where you guys get your candle paints. I have a ton of paints here but they are arts & crafts paints, Im assuming they wont work. Thanks for any advice you can give!

I soooooo understand your pain! I haven't given up yet, but the last few months I've spent much more time discovering the "dark" side of B&B than I have making candles. I still have 'tester' candles all over the place and everytime I test one...it fails miserably. I sorta vowed there would be no new wax poured until I figured out the problem(s) with what I already have done.

Yep, sometimes Im tempted to just make "show" Candles...Im pretty good at that. Most of my candles come out looking very nice but the way they burn is a completely different story. I'm gonna keep at it tho, I just ordered some LX and CD wicks from Peak..a sample pack since i've never tried those wicks. New FO's and colors and all that jazz too so it might get me motivated to really start pouring! I'll be posting pics soon!

i can't help you with pillars but i can put some input. now i paint hurricanes not pillars but i use standard apple barrel paint. i always put more than 1 coat on but i paint directly on the shell. some people say they spray the candle w/matte spray 1st but depending on the paint depends on the layers. i have no problems & found out the hot point for the paint is if you put in directly on the flame. i would test 1st w/pillars but they do great for hurricane & balloon shells. hope this helps, btw wally mart has apple barrel for $.44. i like apple barrel cause it tends to be thicker. :rolleyes2

I soooooo understand your pain! I haven't given up yet, but the last few months I've spent much more time discovering the "dark" side of B&B than I have making candles. I still have 'tester' candles all over the place and everytime I test one...it fails miserably. I sorta vowed there would be no new wax poured until I figured out the problem(s) with what I already have done.

Ditto. I think it will be a year or more before I have a candle that burns right. Somwtimes it's good to take a break when you feel overwhelmed. It's supposed to be fun, so a break can be good.:yay:

I agree. I think I will have to just double wick the ones that dont burn right. Thats the only thing I can think of because sometimes the largest wick I have isnt large enough, and I think I have the largest ones that are made. I have a really big chunk candle that I made a couple months ago, and I used an HTP 1312 which is for candles 4.25" and bigger. This one is I believe a 4" Pillar. I burned it last night and I have a really thick shell..the melt pool is only about 1.5". That one should have been double wicked.