Fundraisers! Questions!

Can anyone give some quick tips on fundraising...

I have been approached by a friend of one of my candle customers whether or not i would be interested...

i only do tart melts and jar candles,etc....

I am interested but any info anyone can provide me with as far as pricing, etc. Do i price as i would for wholesale accounts, do they pay upfront? should i require a minimum, etc!

thanks!

any ideas, tips, suggestions would so kindly be appreciated!

I have only done container candles. I offer 50% in my larger size (which is around wholesale price). They have to collect money as they sell, pay me full amount (as assurance) and up to three weeks later they get candles and their portion of the sales.

Offer a limited selection of jar scents -- your top sellers should do the trick. Maybe your best floral, your best vanilla, your best fruity, your best spicy, best fresh & clean, etc. They take orders for a specified amount of time, then turn in the money to you so you can order. Personally, I would request a weekly update on totals -- they should let you know how sales are running -- so you have a feel for how much product you're going to have to make.

Then when order taking is finished, you get a week to order supplies and a week to make the product. (You may need even more lead time than this, depending on how many candles are ordered and where you get your supplies. Might want three weeks turnaround time on delivery of goods.)

I'd give them my wholesale rate and they keep the profits. They might want to raise the usual retail price a tad if it's already very reasonable; folks are often willing to spend a bit more if it's a fundraiser for a good cause. The organization would get to keep the extra profit, of course.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

I have done a few over the last year and you definitly want to offer jars. Tarts take up too much time for the little bit of money.. Just my 2 cents.

I put tarts in 1 pint jars and sell them for my fundraisers and they go over very well,,,,;)

a BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who responded !

i appreciate all your help.

i will take every piece of advice i can get and i figure too the first time even if just a learning experience it will be worth it.

The fundraiser is for a local dancing group of about 30 families so i dont' see that the volume could get too out of hand for me to handle.... we'll see!

i'll keep you all posted! thanks again! ;)

I'm doing one for a school band. They ordered 45 candles, not many but that's ok. 4 scents one will be a two layer with their school colors. I'll make a hand tag for them with something on it bandish and thanks for sponcering our band. They said they will do the wrapping. They want to be involved. Going to start them this week but it shouldn't take too long. I sell to them wholesale $5.50 and they will sell for $10 or maybe more. Last couple of years they sold Partylite. I have only done a couple of these and they have always ordered ahead and sold already made candles. I could not do the other way cause I need to set time aside to make them along with regular orders.